The Drawback to a Bird Dog

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Taking a walk entails pointing at every robin and bunny we come across. rotflol

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It can be worse. In 6 years I dont think I have ever seen mine lay down outside and relax. She CANNOT relax outdoors. I will never get such a purpose built dog again if I can help it. Hard to judge those things at 49 days though.

ps-mine nailed a leashed blind point on a rabbit in the weeds next to trail yesterday. She just locked up and wasnt going anywhere until I flushed it.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

LOL. Ripley grabbed one the other day–on leash. The look of terror in that bunny’s eyes was impressive.

I also got a call from the FW the other day. Seems that while she was outside picking berries, Ripley found a baby bird. He kept trying to give it to her. rotflol

CaptainMusky

I remember a number of years ago I had both of my GSP’s out and they happily brought me 4 baby bluebirds.
    I knew there was a nest since the house was right on the deck, but I didn’t know they hatched or that they had escaped the nest.
    I was major bumbed, but cannot fault the dog at all. I should have been paying better attention.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Had a Weim that caught 4 birds in our yard over the years. Not young ones. I think it was 2 Cardinals, a Robin, and a grackle. Always brought them to the FW and laid them at her feet. Proud as a peacock. We never hunted her. We just have spoiled house dogs!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Love these stories.

With the park land and paved trails along the river right behind our house we see a lot of dog theatrics. Rabbits can generate some excitement in a hurry. Lots of coon here too, especially in the evenings.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I had the mastiff and chihuahua out for a walk in the back yard. (I recently noticed a whistle pig with a youngin back there.)
    I turned the corner and the chihuahua had the youngin in its mouth, I go runnin to break it up and the mastiff wants to join in. I’m doing everything I can to break this up before mamma woodchuck comes out and starts kicking some a$$.
    It was chaotic for a minute but no damage was done and the whistle pig family must have moved on because I haven’t seen them since.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

My first was a 3yr old GSP foster. Brought her home and upon entering the front door she went burzurk chasing after my favorite pet, Petey the Parakeet. Petey was able to open his cage and loved to sit on the lamp near the front door. Dog eventually was able to nab Petey, and well… Petey succumb a day later. Struggling with the tragic loss, I ordered my mother to get rid of the beast.

It was years later that I realized a dog that birdy, with a mouth that soft, was hard to come by.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

It can be worse. In 6 years I dont think I have ever seen mine lay down outside and relax. She CANNOT relax outdoors. I will never get such a purpose built dog again if I can help it. Hard to judge those things at 49 days though.

ps-mine nailed a leashed blind point on a rabbit in the weeds next to trail yesterday. She just locked up and wasnt going anywhere until I flushed it.

OUTDOORS???? I guess I’m a cruel pet owner. We have a chair for the dogs in the living room next to a window with a bird feeder and bird bath for their amusement. Hours of entertainment of the dogs staring down birds just a couple feet away from them. Only downfall is Ruger stats drooling doah

CaptainMusky

It was years later that I realized a dog that birdy, with a mouth that soft, was hard to come by.

that is very true.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.