Texas 2020

• crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

My son Aaron, and I took our annual bow hunting trip to my good friend’s hunting lease outside of San Angelo, TX Dec 10-14. We had great weather, great food, great comradery and fantastic hunting! He’s almost 19 now, and just getting to spend 4 full days without all the hustle and bustle, and being able to have good, adult conversation with him was worth the trip.
    It’s certainly a different kind of bow hunting down there than the upper mid-west, that’s for sure. We usually see 3 or more shooter bucks on almost every sit, so it’s nice to be able to take your time and choose a nice animal, whether it be a management deer or a trophy to take. The bucks have been in and out of the rut because the weather has been unseasonably warm, even for down there. But we had a nice cool down that had the bucks moving lots mid-day, and I got to witness my first true full-rut fight between a nice 10 point and a big old warrior of an 8 point. The battle ended with one of the 8 pointer’s antlers laying on the ground and him running for cover. I wish I would have had it on video!
    I know these opportunities will get more and more infrequent as Aaron’s work, school, and life will no doubt get in the way from time to time. I sure love his smile!
    Enjoy the pics!

Attachments:
    1. Texas-deer-5.png

2. Texas-deer2.jpg

3. Texas-deer4-1.jpg

4. Aarons-deer.jpg

5. Texas-deer1.jpg

MNdrifter

Cool crossin-eyes! With any luck it will come back at around. You know the whole cats and the cradle thing. Years ago a little east of there (Brady TX) I about got thrown in jail over a roadkill 6 pointer. That warden ain’t messing around. I hit it on the way to the construction yard in the morning. I didn’t know who to call at that immediate moment. I threw it in the back of the truck and hung it in the yard. I called the state trooper thinking it’s like here and they can give you a permit # over the phone. It don’t work that way. Next thing I know, I got the game warden up my a$$ about to throw me in jail. Apparently deer are worth big money in that area. It was a big mess. An inspector on the job we were on called a guy and got my a$$ out of a bind. We got to keep the deer and I had a big grill out for the crew. But totally not worth it. There’s a ton of High fence ranches in that area. I was running a dozer next to a fence looked over and seen some kind of gazell or something standing there watching me.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.