It’s a New Year, time to hit the reloading bench.

• johnee

Well, Santa was good to me and significantly upped my case polishing capacity with a Lyman 1200 vibrating tumbler with auto-flow seperation. I’ve done 2 batches of cases and this thing is awesome. A significant time saver over my old-school tumbler and the auto-seperating feature is a even better. No more hand-sifting.

One of my major goals was to significantly reduce the amount of time I’m spending in case prep. I can load hundres of rounds a night, but it takes days of work to get the cases ready for that operation. I only just finished case prep in December from all the ammo I shot back in June out in South Dakota. Ug! Hopefully I’m on track to a better solution.

I have about 1000 rounds to load for this summer’s varmint expedition. Primers? Check. Bullets? Check. Powder? Arrrrraahhhhh!!! No powder!

Where the h-e-double hockey sticks is the flippin powder???? 1 year after the panic buying began, there is still no modern powders on the shelf. XBR, Varget, etc. All missing in action.

Last year at this time I had my doubts that I would EVER see another small rifle primer. This year, it’s powder. Where the heck is it?

So I’ve been hitting the bench and loading every thing I can as this it the time of year that I have time. It takes a while with a single stage press, but I can do a couple of hundred a night. Until, of course, I run out of powder.

What new things are others trying for ammo and reloading this year?

Happy reloading and shooting new year.

Grouse

deertracker

What is the specific powder you are looking for? I can look in my area. I will be down in the cities in a few weeks.
    DT

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m also looking for Varget. Not in a rush for any, but I try to send a few pounds, primers and bullets to my buddy each year. That way he stays motivated to keep filling my shell box.

johnee

Quote:

What is the specific powder you are looking for? I can look in my area. I will be down in the cities in a few weeks.
    DT

The one powder that would solve all my problems is Varget. I could use lots of Varget.

Now the sensitive issue of price. I don’t wAnt to encourage ripoff merchants by paying 40 plus dollars per pound. I’d go 25 to 27 per pound tops.

But thanks for looking.

Grouse

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

I have no idea if this is the powder you are looking for, but the guy who does my reloading bought his here for $25/LB which included shipping.

Hope this helps.

Natchez

johnee

Quote:

I have no idea if this is the powder you are looking for, but the guy who does my reloading bought his here for $25/LB which included shipping.

Hope this helps.

Natchez

Unfortunately not. 50BMG’s main use is in its namesake 50 BMG. As with most other places, Natchez is sold out of all useful powders.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Grouse, Local shop has had Varget and I’ve haven’t had any significant delays in getting 8# jugs when needed. My last jug was $149.99 + tax. If your traveling down this way, give me a shout. I’ll pick it up and meet up with ya with no gouging fee attached

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I can check Scheels in EauClaire there powder stock was starting to build up again.

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

Quote:

Unfortunately not. 50BMG’s main use is in its namesake 50 BMG. As with most other places, Natchez is sold out of all useful powders.

Grouse

Haha yeah I’m guessing that you don’t need .50 cal powder for your prairie dogs loads!

Sorry about that!

johnee

Quote:

Grouse, Local shop has had Varget and I’ve haven’t had any significant delays in getting 8# jugs when needed. My last jug was $149.99 + tax. If your traveling down this way, give me a shout. I’ll pick it up and meet up with ya with no gouging fee attached

Randy, many thanks for the offer.

How many pounds do they allow you to buy at once? To make it worth the travel/hassle I’d be putting you through, I’d have to be able to get quite a few pounds.

Currently, I’m burning up 7-8 pounds of Varget per year and just to get loaded up for the varmint season, I need at least 5 pounds, but that’s the bare minimum because that would only load the ammo I strictly need, so then I’d be right back to bare shelves in early 2014 again.

My fantasy deal would be to score a couple of 8 pounders somewhere. Then I could quit worrying about powder for at least a year.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

They are still doing the 8# max per customer and/or group. That’s why I was thinking IF you were already heading towards Milwaukee for anything, then my house is only 12 minutes off the interstate. They will not ship powder.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

HAve you tried Gun Stop in Excelsior MN?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I tried calling him to see what he had. Not friendly at all. Told a buddy this and he said, he doesn’t like people calling him. I said he must not like my money either.

johnee

I have tried all the local reloading stores. When I can get through, and customer service is spotty at best, but they never have anything.

To be honest, I have been VERY unimpressed with ALL of the Twin Cities gun shops who carry reloading supplies. Even back in the good old days of pre-2011 I’ve found bad service, poor selection, and a general crabby-assed attitude to be the norm.

I was very glad to see Fleet Farm start to carry reloading supplies and I wish we had more options. I have only visited that Four Seasons Sports place in Red Wing once, but was very impressed and I wish there were stores like that in the Cities.

But it just kills me to think about the good old days when you could just walk into a shop and buy whatever you needed. Lord, I remember the shelves FULL of powder. Multiple 8 pound kegs of whatever you wanted. Oh the good old days, we hardly knew ye at all.

Sing it with me now. Bonnie Charlie’s gone away. Will ye no come back again?

Grouse

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I was in Cabelas in Owatonna today and they were out, when I get a chance I will check with our Fleet Farm and Wild Goose Sports. Did you call 4 Seasons to see if they have any? If they do I am sure we could find a way to get it to you though the IDO shipping network we have here.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

I tried calling him to see what he had. Not friendly at all. Told a buddy this and he said, he doesn’t like people calling him. I said he must not like my money either.

YEah John hates to answer the phone. He’s a nice guy in sperson. Taught my brother and I how to get started reloading. Wonder if he was having a bad day.

johnee

I appreciate everone having a look and tipping me off if someone has it in stock. BTW, I don’t need to score a big 8 pound haul. As long is it’s reasonably near the metro or I have someone else to get it and meet me, I’d take whatever I can get.

I loaded 400 rounds since Christmas and that’s as far as I’m going to go with .223 for now. I’ll use the rest of my powder supply on the .22-250, but what I have in stock won’t get me to the finish line.

I just wonder why poweder is SO slow in coming back?

Grouse

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.