High Point 9mm pistol

• gary_wellman
    South Metro

Last Christmas I was surprised when I opened up a new pistol. I got a 9mm High Point.

Wasn’t too sure of what I got and did some researching.
    Cheap pistol, at $150.
    Lifetime warranty.
    Built in Ohio.
    So, a $150 pistol with a LIFETIME warranty!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmm,
    Well, what about the pistol?
    To say the least, it takes a tool box to tear it apart, which I wasn’t too happy about……..Except that recommended barrel brush is every 300-400 rounds and complete disassembly and cleaning is required every 1500 to 2000 rounds!!!!!!!!!
    HOLY CRAP!!!!!! At 1500, I’ll just send it in and have them clean it with their lifetime warranty and ask for an inspection!!!! (That is what the salesman said!!!!)

So,
    here is a cheap pistol, but does have raving reviews on the web.

No double-action.
    a bit “crude” looking.
    a little barrel heavy.
    Not very mechanically smooth in the aspect of releasing the receiver at a simple flip of the thumb.
    The Safety is a bit hard on the thumb, because of the stamped steel.
    No hammer (which I think is good for conceal-carry, but that is to each-their-own.)

Now,
    to the range.
    Well…….blew 200 rounds. Not one mishap. I was a bit worried, because I didn’t tear it down for a full cleaning to remove all the manufacture’s grease. I only scrubbed the barrel. But didn’t matter……she operated perfectly!

With a table rest, at 25 yards, I “unloaded” the 8 round clip and all 8 shots hit “center mass”. When I say “unloaded”, I mean I unloaded!!!!! I popped all 8 rounds off at a very fast pace. Considering the heaviness of it, and my “bigger-than-average” paw, I held TOTAL CONTROL. Only slight barrel rise per discharge allowed me to more/less stay on target and hit center-mass, firing 8 rounds in appoximately 4-5 seconds.

The only true complaint is that the pistol is a “bit small” in my paw, where the clip does pinch a small bit into the ring finger.

Guys,
    If you are not gobbling up this great, cheap, American made pistol, with lifetime warranty for atleast the “fun” of shooting, you are cheating yourselves out on life!!!!

Is it a Sig-Sauer?
    NOPE!
    But it sure the hell is FUN!!!!!!!!
    and, thus far, I would be more than willing to trust it!

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

I picked up a hifhpiont 9mm carbine and for under 200$ I couldn’t be happier, I’m still waiting for the pistols to come in at the local shop, they have mysteriously went out of stock a week after that congresss women got shot

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My brother-in-law has a Hi Point 9 mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. Like you said, their not pretty or polished, but they perform extremely well considering the price point.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I bought one 6 years ago when they were dirt cheap. The sporting goods store I worked for was selling them for $99 or $89 plus I got my employee discount. I’ve never cleaned mine and I’ve probably put 500 rounds through it over the years. It still works. I don’t know if they still look the same, but mine looks like a kids toy.

PowerFred

I got my Hi-Point .40S&W the same time my son got a Glock 23 in .40S&W. I spent $180 and he spent over $400. Mine isn’t as fancy or sexy, but it shoots better than his. I can control the Hi-Point better than the Glock, due to the increased weight.

The made in the USA and the lifetime warranty at that price point made me a believer. Its nice to see affordable guns being made right here in the USA.

Come on guys, stimulate the economy and keep the jobs and the profits state side, buy a Hi-Point!

whiskeyandwater
    ????

THat’s the gun.

I have the 9mm and .380 (picked up the .380 used for $80.) Great gun. I think this gun fits two needs.
    the gun enthusiast who wants a gun to well beat the snot out of and frankly not care. IT’s a fun gun for me. IT doesn’t matter what you do. bury it in mud, sand, drop it in a lake. Send it back if ANYTHINGI happens. turn around time for me has been 3 days. (used it twice.) once I received a new gun , oncey the repaired. either way is fine with me.

2. I think it’s a great home gun one that anyone who maybe it’s their only gun and they want it more for piece of mind at home. They aren’t braking the bank buy any means. they are getting an easy to shoot, and accuratley at that, gun since the thing is built like a brick. Plus if you aren’t in to guns and appreciate the finer points if it goes boom that’s all you need.

I love both of mine.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

$80??? Good find! There is no way I could turn that down.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

yup that gun made me break my gun show rule, and for an ugly gun at that. That is the one and only time I didn’t walk thee entire floor before buying. Luckily I didn’t come up $80 short latter that day.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The bros-in-law and I did some shooting this weekend after getting the cabin opened and cleaned. Pat brought his Hi Point 9 mm and .40 S&W. I hadn’t shot the .40 before, but both performed well. One thing I noticed is that the grip on that .40 is FAT! I have big hands, and that thing still felt huge. It shot well, though, and was pretty accurate. And he said he’s not cleaning them till they malfunction

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I saw an auction this weekend with a bunch of high point pistols, but they were all at or above retail prices.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

That’s hilarious. Don’t get me wrong they are a nice gun, for the price point. But the key to that is FOR the price point.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.