breaking in a rifle barrel

• riverfan
    MN

Thanks guys, I enjoy teaching. A big thanks to Dave Markquart of Marquart Chevrolet for hosting the event. What an opportunity to share fishing information. Maybe we can do it again.

john

bigefish
    Rock Falls, WI.

John
    thanks for the info and nice finally meeting you…thanks for the tip on the mega bass secret weapons
    not saying anything about red hooks or line

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

Quote:

Thanks guys, I enjoy teaching. A big thanks to Dave Markquart of Marquart Chevrolet for hosting the event. What an opportunity to share fishing information. Maybe we can do it again.

john

How about doing one a little more centrally located to the TC area, like maybe in Shakopee?

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

What opinions do you have on this I have read everything from cleaning after every shot for first 20 and every 3 after that up to 100 to that it is not necesary at all. One article I read even said breaking a rifle in was a way to get you to use use up the 1st hundred shots so that you would have to buy a new barrel sooner. Also read to use abrasives to polish the lands and grooves to make smooth and some that say doing this is lowering your barrels life expectancy. Only thing that I understood at all is that there may be tiny burs in the barrel from machining process so if you shoot once or twice then clean the copper out of the barrel for the first 20 shots the bullet will smooth out the burs and if you just shoot with out cleaning you just build up copper and the bur stays. I’m confused buy to much reading on this subject and just want to do it right. Thanks for any advice

little_g
    durand WI

what kind of gun? Some gun companies do it in the factory I think its called lapping the barrel. Tikka does it I think.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I surely wouldn’t put any abrasives in the new barrel.I’m not sure about breaking in though. My savage shot 1/4″moa groups right out of the box and has for the last 1000 rounds. Hasn’t changed.Just keep your barrel clean and lubricated and it’ll shoot just fine.

wishin4eyes
    NORTH CENTRAL, IOWA

Everyone has there own opinion and procedure for barrel break-in I will tell you what has worked the best for me after several years of setting up and breaking in new guns for myself and several others.

1. I always completely disassemble and thoroughly clean ANY new gun no matter what inside and out. New guns are sent full of excess oil, grease, cosmoline etc. This is where most shooters get into trouble they pick up there new gun throw rings and a scope on and go shoot BAD MISTAKE!

2. Having the right tools saves alot of time and makes things alot easier
    good cleaning rod
    correct jags and brushes
    solvent and oil
    bore guide I wouldn’t even consider putting a rod or anything down the barrel of 1 of my rifles without one.

3. For 10 shots clean after every shot, then shoot 5 3 shot strings clean after all 5, then shoot 5 5 shot strings
    cleaning after each 5. I know this is 50 rounds but it is worth it to break in you new investment correctly.

This has worked well for us on alot of rifles of numerous manufacturers.

Always use a good solvent then patch dry then add a little oil your barrel will last and this will get the most accuracy out of your barrel. Good Luck and Good Shooting!!

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Thanks for the info. This is in line with what ive seen in articles. I plan to use sweets 7.62 copper solvent wich I think is a quality product.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.