Terrova and Helix 7 SI question

• aaronbecker
    Mantorville, MN

I’ve ordered a boat with a terrova with link and Helix 9 SI G2N already on the console with the intention of adding something up front later on. Well, I believe I want to go with a Helix 7 SI G2N but can anyone tell me, will the SI work off of the transducer built in the terrova? From what I can tell from hbirds site, the DI needs it’s own clamp on transducer but not sure about how SI and the terrova work together.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

The US2 in the terrova is 2d sonar only. You would need to mount the SI ducer to the motor if if you want SI reading from the motor.

The G2N model is for networking. If the terrova has Ipilot Link, you will want the G2N.

Not certain, but if you run a G2N up front you should be able to view SI from the back transducer. Again, maybe someone else can verify that the Helix models will share SI.

Based on a quick check, it looks as though the G2Ns will share SI over ethernet. Even says that base helix 7 2d/chart G2N will show Mega imaging. Is that true?

Dave maze
    Isanti

You can see the si transducer from the front unit if you have all the units connected with an ethernet switch. The terrova us2 transducer will not give you si. You will have to strap an si ducer onto it.

aaronbecker
    Mantorville, MN

Do I then still need a 7 SI to see the SI from the back?

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Youll need 1 for sure. Based on my reading the 2nd unit just needs to be a Helix 7 G2n.

what gixxer said, just get the helix 7 gps g2n and you’ll be able to see SI/DI/2d and your waypoints

aaronbecker
    Mantorville, MN

Perfect, that’s going to be way cheaper than buying the SI version. I really wanted the 7 to work for this so I can get the ice pack for it next winter as well

reddog

Trade the compact transducer for the HDSI. You must do this before you open the transducer package that was included with your 7SI. Or take the 85$ upgrade fee and apply it to a Helix 10 si. I think you’ll be happier. The prices on Gen 1 helix cannot be beat right now, till they’re gone.

Josh Thompson

I just replied to a similar question, you only need one unit that does SI to have it on both units, as long as they are both G2N units. The unit providing the SI/DI needs to be connected to the SI/DI ducer and be powered on to share it with a non-si unit. You can use the Y cable to get 2D from the US2 and the SI/DI from the HDSI ducer. However, you do lose temp and 2D from the HDSI ducer with the Y cable. So you will want to account for that. Either with another ducer (external or through-hull) attached to the non-SI helix or you’ll have to have the TM in the water to use it. You don’t need a hummingbird hub if just connecting to G2N units. If you have iLink and 2 G2N units, then you will need the Ethernet hub to connect everything.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.