Tandem trailer question

• NofHwy8
    baldwin, WI

Bought a used lund last summer. Trailer is tandem axel. About a week into owning it i hit a deer with it. It was at night, swerved with truck felt it hit the side of the truck and then the boat(oh great). Pulled over expecting to see damage. I was greatly relieved to find just a few scratches. Neither truck or boat are new so I thought I dodged a major bullet. A couple weeks later I found uneven wear on my tires…bent an axel. Insurance covered it so again thought I dodged a bullet. Fast forward to this year. Took my 2nd trip to pool 4 today and noticed the trailer and tire bouncing slightly. I pulled over and everything seemed to be working like it should. I continued to watch untill it went flat about a half mile from home. I limped it home. Any ideas on why this happined? This was the newest tire of the 4. Same axel that was bent. Other tires were replaced before the deer hit. Tires were inflated properly. Was the tire not balanced? Out of alignment? Can you aline a boat Trailer? I trying to get to the bottle of this so it doesn’t happen again. Any input is appreciated.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Most likely the tire itself. During Winter, the plies on the tire can separate, sidewalls can bulge. That is why you saw the tire bouncing.

NofHwy8
    baldwin, WI

I stopped and slow rolled the tire and it seemed to be oblong or not perfectly round. Didn’t know if my eyes were playing trucks on me… shock

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

If it is less than a year old it should be under warranty. A busted belt that soon should be covered as a defect.

NofHwy8
    baldwin, WI

Good point…i didnt think of that waytogo

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Anybody ever check to see if you bent the rim when you hit the deer? Also who changed the axle? Is it properly aligned? I think Kraemer Spring on Hwy. 110 in Inver Grove Heights can check that.

NofHwy8
    baldwin, WI

The rim was fine at the time axel was repaired. I’m glad you brought up kraemer spring…i was going to ask for an alignment place on the east side…thanks Dutch

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Skillet, are your tires bias ply or steel belted radials? One time on the cheap I decided to go with bias ply and the oblong thing happened to all four tires. I went back to steel belted radials and no more tire failures.

Also, what brand of tires are you running?

NofHwy8
    baldwin, WI

Skillet, are your tires bias ply or steel belted radials? One time on the cheap I decided to go with bias ply and the oblong thing happened to all four tires. I went back to steel belted radials and no more tire failures.

Also, what brand of tires are you running?

Radials titan? Sounds like a low end tire. I put 6 ply Carlisle which are probably low end as well. Shop put on the titan. Maybe they put on a 2 ply radial and that’s what failed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.