Tach for 2001 90 Merc ?

• Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

All this chatter has me wondering if it would be wise to install a battery cutoff switch.
    The question that brings to mind-which wires to the motor do I need it installed on- just the main heavy starting cables or the small accessory wires that run back to the motor or all of them?????

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I can answer that Art. The heavier cables.

By disconnecting all other wires from the battery except the heavy gauge wire, there’s only a few accessories that stop working…and the motor will start.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

If I’m understanding correct, if the battery is disconnected (accessory and main cable)there is zero chance for the wires to ignite correct?? Still going to check it, but usually whenever I know the boat is going to sit for a month or more I disconnect the batteries just as a precautionary on them getting ran down anyway.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Then there’s people like me that have a “smart” charger and leave everything connected….guess that might not have been so “smart”.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

A benifit to having no electric in the shed, couldn’t have it hooked up if I wanted to.

Getting quite curious to see what I see when I get back to the house tommorow night. Hopefully nothing out of the ordinary.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Then there’s people like me that have a “smart” charger and leave everything connected….guess that might not have been so “smart”.

I continue to leave my smart charger connected as well, despite the horror stories.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Sounds exciting! Who wouldn’t love the adrenaline rush of not know whether your outboard will start on fire? Sign me up!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Merc should charge extra for this feature!!

Side Bar: I replaced my 10 year old fire extingisher last spring. Put it in my camper as a second back up…but I’m thinking it’s going back in the boat.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

No need to have an extra extinguisher- you just installed the new improved version! LOLA!

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Wires checked, I’m safe. . For now

Reuben Langston

So the fix was a “new and improved?” What brand and part number.

Reuben Langston

Realize it’s an older post…the fix is a new improved regulator?what bramd and part number? Ive recently purchased a pontoon with the 90hp elpto merc..02 model..and have the same issues going on..have replaced regulator (after checking stator)..first regulator over charged..higher the revs higher the volts..and no tach…got another..stillno tach but wasn’t charging as high..also…it should charge the same with motor under a load or not..shouldn’t it?…the new reg I put on am have maybe 10hrs on it went out yesterday…

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Realize it’s an older post…the fix is a new improved regulator?what bramd and part number? Ive recently purchased a pontoon with the 90hp elpto merc..02 model..and have the same issues going on..have replaced regulator (after checking stator)..first regulator over charged..higher the revs higher the volts..and no tach…got another..stillno tach but wasn’t charging as high..also…it should charge the same with motor under a load or not..shouldn’t it?…the new reg I put on am have maybe 10hrs on it went out yesterday…

Usually the more rpms the motor runs the the more your alternator output will be.

Reuben Langston

But not over 14.5 volts…it was bumping 18volts…(battery fully charged)

djshannon
    Crosslake

1980s vintage Mercs don’t have voltage regulators. They only had a rectifier and apply pulsating DC to the directly to the battery. They use the reactive load of the lead acid battery to regulate the voltage. At idle the voltage is about 14V and at full throttle about 18V.

The key to making this all work is the reactive load of good old fashioned (add water) lead acid battery. Any other style battery (agm, sealed lead, gel ….) require a functioning REGULATOR to limit the overcharge caused by the pulsating DC.

For those that have had issues, what was your battery?

Reuben Langston

The motor is an 02 model,has voltage reg/rectifier…lead battery

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Mine and Rednecks were/are lead acid.
    We both have a reg/rec.

I’m not sure what the part number was. I’ll see if I can find it.

The key was the new and improved reg/rec.

Reuben Langston

Also I’m not running any accessories,I realize the motors charging system is strictly for the cranking battery….and I see that both the signal wire and bat+ both go to the main cable from battery (on starter relay) would it help/make a difference if the signal wire came straight off battery…yeah I know it basically is…just curious

Reuben Langston

Also the reg/rect get very warm…hot…none of the wires are…or connections

JMP1890

I had the same problem with my 2001 90 Merc. Discovered it last year after the tach quit working on a February outing on Pool 4. I installed “NEW MERCURY MARINER 6 WIRE RECTIFIER REGULATOR 815279-3 8152795 815279T 8301792” and no issues to date. Tach has been working great and no burned up wires.

JMP

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Hmm, pulling mine out of storage this weekend. Will be one of the first things I check

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Steve, you have one of those that can start on fire at anytime.

If the battery cables are connected, your motor is at risk of starting on fire. Doesn’t matter if your wires are burned. (although that is a sign)

I don’t think I can be much clearer then that. Replace it!

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Add me to the list of guys that had they’re 90hp mercury start on fire!

Attachments:
    1. CFBFD871-A4B2-4885-A34C-C4AB08105FC4.jpeg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Couldn’t have said it better myself Reuben.

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.