T9.9 on a jonboat

• stevenoak

Anyone use a T9.9 as primary motor on a jon boat? We are renting a house in Florida for 2 months. My preference, I usually fish out of a Hobie peddle kayak. This year the only house we could get to rent on short notice is 2 to 5 miles from my favorite fishing spots. I have a 1546 welded Alumacraft I use on trolling motor only lakes. $150 I can put on a transom extension and use the kicker off my 1850 Alumacraft for this year. If we can lock in a house long term I will buy or build a specific boat to the area. But in the last 5 years, this is our 3rd house due to insane real-estate market. 1st house went from $130k to sold for $480 in 3 years. Long run maybe 5 miles or so. Also wonder if you can reprop, or can only use the fan blade prop. Not hung up on speed, 10mph or a little more would be fine. Will be on the trolling motor 90% of the time. Mostly used to go canal to canal. But a 10-mile round trip at 3mph would cut into the day fishing. Not to mention outrunning incoming weather. May clamp it on and go to a deep lake and see what it does.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Ran one on a Alumacraft 1448 (20 inch transome) Works fine. T&T is nice to get into skinny water. I could not get on plane. 10-12 mph. Never tried a different prop. You will need the transome extension.

-J.

stevenoak

Getting on plane will be important. The gulf there is about a foot deep per mile, for 10 miles out. Flats the first mile out is actually out of the water at low tide. Except for dredged channels.

Deuces

This is out of my knowledge range but I do recall reading few times they prop those t9s specifically for trolling, I’d definitely look into it and reprop as needed.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Prop is certainly an issue. Just can say for sure changing it out to one with more pitch is going to help a 9.9hp 4-stroke motor get a 15 ft boat up on plane. (Old 2 stroker from 1975 might! devil )

-J.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.