Swim bait walleye rods

• Dink buster

Read through the ido archives about this but thought I’d refresh the topic. Whats a good walleye rod for using swim baits in the Mississippi? Under 150$ preferably

Deuces

What size baits?

CBMN
    North Metro

I am not going to tell you go and buy that specific rod here as there are endless variables from jig size to bait presentation ranging from pitching to dragging but I think a 7 foot (possibly slightly shorter or slightly longer) medium or medium light in fast or extra fast is a good place to start. A lot of other preference variable out there from that point that are what you like best, for example split grip or full grip.

I fish open water a fair amount in the winter to guide type and size are important to me also but might not be to most.

Dink buster

3/8 to 5/8 ounce I’m thinking with the heavy currents

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I think it’s called the “airport/swingbridge” model.

buschman
    Pool 2

3/8 is about as heavy as I ever have to use running 5.5 inch swim baits. This is if your going to be pitching them. You can run heavier if your dragging deeper water but should not need anymore weight than 3/8th while pitching them. 1/4-5/16ths are what i use most. In my opinion the 6’9″ avid in ML with extra fast action is the best rod for pitching jigs up to 1/4 oz. 7-7’2″ medium with a fast action for 5/16 oz and up.
    Rods are a preference thing and don’t believe there is one that is made for everyone.
    For the price I really like the 13 Omen rods. They make a 7’1″ medium with a fast action. Great rod for ripping raps and heavier swim baits (5/16 and up)

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Limit Creek Smoothie for anything less than 3/8ths.

Deuces

I haven’t done as much as these guys on the river, but I do personally like a MH on lakes, a stouter rod and braid really lets me snap off those weeds I’m swimming thru.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

When it comes to rods everyone has their preferences. If I am working a swimbait in the 3/8 oz and up I like bait casting rods. Lighter than 3/8 oz I like spinning rods. Some baits I like having moderate action to help let the lure work. (like with a crank bait) Other times I like extra fast or fast actions. I know this is not helping you narrow down what you are looking for but the question is too open for me.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Times like this is when choosing a rod having Dean at Everts was the best thing out there. Give him your credit card number pick any rod reel combo and take it out fishing for a day. If you liked it no need to stop back at the baitshop if not just return it or pick a different combo. How many places out there that you could take a StCroix Legend Elite for a trial run or any StCroix rod…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.