Suzuki outboards

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’ve been looking at boats and if new am going Yamaha, but was talking to a dealer the other day and he’s got a 2019 coming in on a trade and it has a 50hp suzuki tiller on the back. Anyone have experience with a similar motor? Buying a year old boat would save me a bunch on taxes (boat is not in MN, I guess here there are taxes on used boats if bought from a dealer) and hopefully it’s listed at a good price. Once the boat comes in I’ll be getting pics, price, etc. One thing nice is that the suzuki 50hp is lighter than most other engines in its class.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Suzuki’s are very nice motors. I’d buy it no problem.

disco bobber

I got a new boat last year with a 70 Suzuki on it. No complaints at all. I also know someone who repowered to a 50 Suzuki. He loves it.

Henpecked

I bought a 2017 30hp Zuki for my 14 foot and it’s been a great motor. I would not hesitate to buy another. Check to see if the warranty is transferable. Suzuki has had the 3+3 program for several years now.

cheers

4 years of flawless use on my 70 so far , very pleased with it

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I would take a suzuki over a yamaha. Yami’s are well built but heavy. Both will last forever without an issue.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The only downside I can think of is if you have to get it repaired I believe it is much more difficult to get parts versus Evinrude, Merc and Yami.

This is my second had experience through a friend who had to get a new lower unit. I think it took about a month.

toddrun

Suzuki is definitely pressing hard to get a bigger footprint in the outboard market. Lots of new boats are coming with Suzuki’s on them now, and I am sure you could find service somewhere nearby, getting more and more available every year.

I have a buddy that services outboards, is not brand specific, and he has stated to me many times that if he were buying it would be Suzuki, hands down. I have heard from more than one source in the industry that the Suzuki 140hp may be the best, most reliable, outboard in the industry. Obviously that does not translate to a smaller tiller motor, but it shows their quality.

My personal opinion, they are all pretty good now days, if you go name brand. All will have good ones, all will have bad ones, but in general most will be good.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Suzuki is right there with the other major outboard manufacturers. Every brand has had some issues at one point or another, but with the presence of the internet, social media, etc. and the connectivity of the world…companies can rarely survive putting junk out there without correcting it. I’ve really heard good things about their mid-sized outboards (specifically the 90hp and 140hp). My brother in law was a long time Yamaha guy in the industry and he now runs Suzukis on his pontoon and fishing boat.

There’s something about the new flat black Suzukis that really catches my eye each time I see one as well.

milemark_714

I wouldn’t hesitate buying it,could be the best 50HP made?I almost bought one,but would have had to wait for one to be ordered.Used ones are rare,just like Honda.

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

I had a 2007 Suzuki 150 on my Yar Craft tiller. It was the best motor I’ve ever owned. I have a Mercury on the boat I have now and it hasn’t had any issues but I’d rather have a Suzuki.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My folks have a 2017 Suzuki 4-stroke 150 hp hydraulic tiller on their Warrior 2090 and they have not experienced any issues. Prior to that, they had a 140 in the Suzuki 4-stroke that originally came with the boat in 2009. They replaced the 140 with a 150 because they had too many hours on the outboard and simply needed to replace it.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’m a die hard Yammy guy but I’d have no problem owning a Suzuki.

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

I had a 140 johnson which was the same motor as the suzuki, just had a different cowling. Awesome engine. For me, it is the only 1 or the 2 engines I would ever consider. Everyone I know to have had one cant speak highly enough about them. You’ll be happy.

Matt

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

On the comment of market share, I think Suzuki is a huge global player. From what I can remember reading (if it’s true…) they were much higher than represented in the US market. I own a DF 140 and have have really good luck, if I ever need a part away from the metro I might have issues though….

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

On the comment of market share, I think Suzuki is a huge global player. From what I can remember reading (if it’s true…) they were much higher than represented in the US market. I own a DF 140 and have have really good luck, if I ever need a part away from the metro I might have issues though….

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Yes I also have heard that globally Suzuki sells as many motors as anyone. But that doesn’t matter cuz Minnesota is barely part of the globe. rotflol

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Another happy suzuki owner here. I have a 150ss. It’s the matte black. Only complaint is the first scratch about killed me….. very difficult to repair.

Jason

I purchased a new 2019 Suzuki 30hp ATHL tiller last spring with the 3+3 warrenty. It’s been great so far with approx 100hrs on it. Its smooth running and has good power, starts in one second it seems like, and the power trim works well. I wouldnt change to a different brand today when it comes to a portable outboard.

lazermule
    North Metro of TC

I have a 75 Yamaha Tiller on my 2017 175 Competitor. I do like the motor for the most part, but I wouldn’t mind trying a Suzuki at some point. My Yamaha doesn’t idle as smoothly as I thought it would have, it does shake the boat a bit when trolled down to the very bottom end of the rpms and always has. The Yamaha was on the boat when I bought it off the showroom floor, if it had a Suzuki, I would have bought it as well. The major differences in the two that that I saw are that the Yamaha runs a timing belt, and the Suzuki runs a timing chain, and the Suzuki is said to be a bit lighter but I don’t know how much.

If you can save a pile of money with the Suzuki, I’d run with it!

LM

zooks

The only downside I can think of is if you have to get it repaired I believe it is much more difficult to get parts versus Evinrude, Merc and Yami.

X2, parts and service availability would be my only concern regarding a Suzuki, excellent motors otherwise.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

If the deal works out (fingers crossed) I’ll post an update on this thread. One dealer I talked to that is really close to me said he sells them and he never sees them come back. I just checked and there’s two dealers really close to my cabin as well.

lazermule
    North Metro of TC

If the deal works out (fingers crossed) I’ll post an update on this thread. One dealer I talked to that is really close to me said he sells them and he never sees them come back. I just checked and there’s two dealers really close to my cabin as well.

That sure sounds like a reason to seal the deal. Best of luck getting it all done!

LM

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I felt obligated to respond to this post! ) My current Zukes, while in service, are too old to apply to this discussion. However I have been eyeing a new Suzuki EFI 20hp short shaft for my 14 foot fishing boat to replace the antique 15hp Evinrude.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

on my second Suzuki – first was a DF140 and the new one is a DF150SS. Both have been flawless. Haven’t had any trouble getting service or parts, even when we lived in Michigan…

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I LOVE Yamaha motors, but my last used boat purchase came with a 40hp Suzuki. I’ve run it 3 years now and have ZERO complaints.
    Yes, if I was rigging new, I’d still want a Yamaha, but the Suzuki has been very very good to me.

disco bobber

I have a 75 Yamaha Tiller on my 2017 175 Competitor. I do like the motor for the most part, but I wouldn’t mind trying a Suzuki at some point. My Yamaha doesn’t idle as smoothly as I thought it would have, it does shake the boat a bit when trolled down to the very bottom end of the rpms and always has. The Yamaha was on the boat when I bought it off the showroom floor, if it had a Suzuki, I would have bought it as well. The major differences in the two that that I saw are that the Yamaha runs a timing belt, and the Suzuki runs a timing chain, and the Suzuki is said to be a bit lighter but I don’t know how much.

If you can save a pile of money with the Suzuki, I’d run with it!

LM

My 50 Yamaha had a shake like that also but it was just when the trim was all the way down. I would just bump the trim up off the stop and it would go away.

lazermule
    North Metro of TC

My 50 Yamaha had a shake like that also but it was just when the trim was all the way down. I would just bump the trim up off the stop and it would go away.

That does make it a bit better, but it’s still there..

LM

Bartman

I am on my second Suzuki. The I had my first one for eleven years before I sold the boat. It never saw a repair shop….I loved it so much I bought another boat with a Suzuki. Four years later still loving it. More and more repair places service these motors now. Dont hesitate. Good motors.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.