Surprise Repair time! / ? on Warner’s Dock service dept.

• the_hat
    SE Metro

Long story short, went to finish up winterizing boat yesterday to find a puddle of the fresh lower unit grease that was just put in all over the floor. It’s leaking out the prop shaft someplace, can’t tell exactly. Took the prop off to have it repaired over the winter and it seemed fine, but clearly not the case. There was some line behind the prop but didn’t appear to be enough to cause an issue, although it’s hard to say I guess.
    Motor is Yamaha 200 hpdi. SO I called the Boat Center, Lacanne’s and Warner Dock, all of which are into December. No surprise there. I know the reputation of the Boat Center around here, and would probably be my first choice, but I store it in Western WI so Warner’s Dock would be the most convenient. I would like to put it in storage fixed but this timeline and the unknown of snow may not allow it. Storage doesn’t plow barns so if it snows while it’s out, Tough $hit. All the input I got has been the same, need to pressure test it, figure out the issue and go from there. More than likely a lower unit seal rebuild, probably 2-3 shop hours.

Curious if anyone as any input on experience with service dept at Warner’s, or anything else I should know!

Thanks!

Ripjiggen

I have never used Warner but they have a good reputation.
    Yes must get pressure tested to locate the leak. Probably a bad seal.
    Was the oil grey from water intrusion or was this fresh oil that had not been run in water.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Take the lower off and put the boat in storage, fix wherever you choose over winter and put it on in the spring when you pull it out.

the_hat
    SE Metro

That was what I intended to do, but they all claimed they wanted the entire motor/boat to test it once fixed.

No water in oil, but it did seem low.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

I bought my boat at Warner’s (Competitor 185 Sport) and they’ve done all the service I’ve had (not much, just the first post-break-in stuff and winterizing). Nothing bad to say about them at all – just the opposite; they’ve been great and very easy to work with. They are busy and the timelines there are long but that’s the case everywhere right now.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Take the lower off and put the boat in storage, fix wherever you choose over winter and put it on in the spring when you pull it out.

^This.

My boat is currently in my garage without the lower unit as it needed a seal. They will call me in December when they’re ready to put it back together and check everything over. I will tow my boat to them in the morning and pick it up that afternoon. By then, most of the tourist anglers sucking in the 50 degree sunshine should be out of the way on the river.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Warner’s is great. I will also throw a shout out to Robert’s Marine in Roberts WI. i’ve been doing business with both for twenty years

Slabtown
    Western Wisconsin

I had lower unit work done at Warners this summer and they were great to work with.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Warners Dock has been in business for a long time. I’ve had good experiences dealing with them over the years. I would not wait until next spring to have any dealer or shop put it back together though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.