Sunflower heater not working

• piersm2
    St Cloud MN

I’ve got this sunflower heater that won’t stay lit. I put a new thermocoupler on it and still no luck. If I hold the button down, it will stay lit but as soon as I let go it goes out. Can anyone help me with this??

bullcans
    Northfield MN

There is a brass or copper tube that connects to your thermocouple.
    Unscrew the opposite end and use a small wire brush and scrub it.
    Also, there is the shaft/tube that holds the head of the heater.
    Spin that tube/shaft off at the bottom and scrub that copper or brass fitting that’s in there.
    They seem to plug up fairly regular (at least for me) and once I complete these 2 steps I usually get good results.

gimp

don’t even mess with the sunflower heaters. They can be dangerous there are others ones that will heat as good and are mush safer. I had one that started on fire. I am glad I never opened the tank valve much and was able to get it out before it did any damage.

Jason Guthmiller

I had mine do the same thing. If what bullcans suggested doesn’t work the thermal couple tab had bent so it wasn’t close enough to the element. I bent it back and it worked fine.

Brad Hak

Glad to read this post…. I had the same problem with my sunflower, seems like it is not the best design. The wire that attaches to the back of the heater had frayed or broke, and if that wire is not touching (At the very end of the wire) the pilot quickly shuts off. I spent about three weeks with it bent back on and touching, but would have to re set it everytime we moved spots sooo… and I know this is not ideal but it does work with out spending any money. I now have a thick wire tie sorounded by tape that keeps the button engaged. No safety problems and has worked fine ever since. I know it is not ideal but it is going to get me through the season.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I now have a thick wire tie sorounded by tape that keeps the button engaged.

I have also done this. No problems.

-J.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.