Summit Topics?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I do have a question for mnfish.
    Are they concerned about making fishing better for minnesotan’s or for tourism?

This came into my mailbox last night.

“Our agenda is extensive, but is focused on four major areas: 1. Gather perspectives on the state of fishing and its economic importance both locally and statewide; 2. Identify the barriers to better fishing; 3. Identify potential solutions for solving priority issues affecting fishing; 4. Identify specific strategies for strengthening relationships between stakeholders to achieve common good.”

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Barriers that prevent better fishing?

Without a doubt, having any closed season at any time. Allowing catch and release for everything year round is the epitome of “better fishing”. Quit making people find loopholes in the law to go fishing.

What this guy said!

Hey

Barotrauma.

First relating to wintering areas for small walleye getting pulled out of 33ft plus areas. The ice shacks set-up on the deeper mid lake humps all winter long. How many young walleyes get killed like this? I’m open to the idea of protecting young walleye wintering areas where it makes sense. Even off limits to ice fishing.

Secondly crappie fishing deep basin. You catch it you keep it.

Deep water musky. I don’t know if this is related to barotrauma or just the shock of going from cold to warm water. I saw more then my fair share of dead musky floating belly up this summer around deep water. Lots of second hand reports of the same thing. Deep water trolling.

I’m not a fan of reducing limits for walleye. There are only a very small % of anglers who can go out and catch a limit almost everytime. Statically it won’t have any effect.

I haven’t had a DNR officer near me in over 20 yrs. So make all the rules you want but if no one is around to enforce or educate then what’s the point.

Umy
    South Metro

How about water quality via the enormous amount of salt we put on our roads. Clean water is finite and this is easily something we can address.

Learn how to drive in the winter or maybe not. Collision centers will do better business then so more money foe the economy???

Thank you for anything you say or do at this meeting!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Barotrauma.
    First relating to wintering areas for small walleye getting pulled out of 33ft plus areas. The ice shacks set-up on the deeper mid lake humps all winter long. How many young walleyes get killed like this?

They have a few pertinent studies on this, and basically no hooking mortality when the water temp is under 60 degrees and the fish are caught in 30 fow or less. Hooking mortality doesn’t really jump up until over 30 fow or the water temp is near 80 degrees. However, hooking mortality studies are inherently flawed as they have no baseline, as they can’t put fish in a holding cage for 3-5 days without catching them first to find out how many would die from just being in the cage. They did 3 studies one on P4, one on ML, and one on Rainy Lake, and if you’d like to read them, send me your email.

Joe

I know people that won’t travel to MN to fish for walleyes due to being limited to one line.

I also agree with lake associations being one of the biggest threats to fishing access/management.

Hey

Ask guides in the Mississippi River about deep scour holes and barotrauma.

Also ask guides in lakes with deep basin (not Mille lacs).

Also please read other states literature including North Dakota’s.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.