Suggestions for Deer Lake by St. Croix Falls

• haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Heading up that way with the family next month. Trying to decide if its worth hauling the boat up 7 hours from the Quad Cities Area. Or if there is something else I should be looking at.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Haasjj

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

If anything you have a few options in the area. Beside Deer you have Balsam, Wapogasset, Half Moon & Bone. Opportunities for bass, Muskie, panfish & maybe some walleye.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Been a few year since I have been to Deer lake, but the crappie fishing was pretty darn good, muskies were always good and bass was decent.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Thanks everyone. I’ll bring the skeeter up and we’ll give some muskie fishing a try. Don’t have too many quality opportunities around here and its been awhile since that box of lures has gotten opened. Like the idea of a crappie fry one night too. I’ll have to check out those other lakes that were suggested as well.

Thanks.

Hilltopper
    LaCrosse, WI

The Apple River is down the road a few miles. Lots of stuff to fish in Amery, Wi.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

If you’re thinking Muskie: Deer and Bone are lakes of note in that area. Wapo has muskies as well but lower populations I think.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Should have mentioned Apple River in Amery as well. Should be able to find some Muskie options.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Well, with the front that came through, it was slow. Caught a bunch of pike, not much on the muskie front. My 3 year old daughter, however, showed me you have to downsize your bait and pole in order to catch one. She caught this 28″ on a mickey mouse pole all by herself.

Attachments:
    1. Reagans-first-muskie.jpg

Nice Fella

“She caught this 28″ on a mickey mouse pole all by herself.”

Probably the coolest fishing report I’ve read in a while – congrats! And thanks for sharing. Great read to start my day.

404 ERROR
    MN

Well, with the front that came through, it was slow. Caught a bunch of pike, not much on the <em class=”ido-tag-em”>muskie front. My 3 year old daughter, however, showed me you have to downsize your bait and pole in order to catch one. She caught this 28″ on a mickey mouse pole all by herself.

And this is what makes fishing with children well worth it. Sure, they probably get a rats nest in their reel, tangle themselves up in their line and get bored easy. But seeing the look on their face when they see their rod bed over is priceless. Congrats on your daughters catch! I can’t tell who’s smiling bigger in that picture.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

I grabbed the pole at the end to guide the fish in to the net, but she did it all prior. I was busy helping the other kids catch bluegills when I looked over and could see the muskie try to throw the hook. She had a death grip on the pole. Amazing the line didn’t break from the condition it was in.

Nice Fella

She’s probably already telling all her little girlfriends it was 32″, barely hooked, got it on the figure 8 boatside, old man almost knocked it off with net,…
    lol

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Just a follow-up….since that WI trip, she tells everyone she sees when on the river. We were at the ramp in Pool 14 earlier this week and this gentleman asked her if she had caught anything. She stood up and declared, “I CAUGHT A BIG MUSKIE!!” I had to explain it to the guy cause we don’t have any muskie in the Miss. River around here. I think she’ll remember this the rest of her life.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.