Finding Eyes

• eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me out here? I haven’t fished eye’s to much in the summer mainly spring and winter and haven’t been able to locate them. What kind of places are you targeting, deep holes, rocks, wood riffles?

I fished what I thought were prime areas (holes with rock), but nothing. They got me stumped right now or I’m not holding my mouth right. Thanks.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I am not a walleye guy by any means – but when we try for walleye on the river we focus on current seems and also wingdams.

Dragging raps on the current seems has been the best result for us – right around 6 – 10 FOW.

However I don’t know much about the cedar river – i would give that a try.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Outside bends with wood may also be another good place to look. There is usually a little more current in the outside bend and the wood offers great structure for them to lay under and wait for a meal. Works on some of the smaller rivers in MN.

big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

Wingdams! Right now that is your best bet for EYES. Troll the face of the wingdam with a three way, or anchor above the wingdam and throw cranks down and across the face. Also try pendulum swinging ringworms or shad baits down the face. You will get bit!!

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Thanks guys for the help. I’ll have to try the wood alittle more then. I seem to have that problem of associating eyes and rock and not wood for some reason.

I wish there were a few wingdams on the Cedar, it’s a small river though. Deepest water is 10-15′ with alot of 1-3′ water. Thanks again guys.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Pitching jigs with about 2/3 of a ringworm and half a crawler through the current seams works for me this time of year. Food is plentiful this time of year so you have to be there when they are feeding or make them bite (crankbaits).

Bob Spitz
    Osage Iowa

I have been doing real good on the walleyes the last several weeks here in Mitchell county. Fish the current with 1/8 oz. jig and white twister tail. I have not caught a single walleye in deep slower moving water. 2-3 fow with rock seems to be the key. I think there are fish in the deep pockets, but not the biters. Last night we lost a possible wall hanger size eye several feet from the boat.

Bob Spitz
    Osage Iowa

Hit the cedar Sat. morning at 7. Three of us caught 11 walleye more than 30 bass. We floated the jon boat for several miles in Mitchell County. The water is very low and gin clear. Again jig and white twister tail were the hot presentation this morn. The key was current, if none no fish it is as simple as that.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

You want a rock or at least sand bottom. Forget the muddy bottomed areas unless there is rock near by. Find an area with deep water and fish the shallows near by at prime time and you’ll do OK.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Thank you guys for the help, that gives me a better idea. Going to try to get out this monday or tuesday, let you know how I do.

TACKET
    NE Iowa

Have been doing very well for ‘eyes on sand bar drops. They have been shallow.

ducky
    Waterloo, Iowa

Hey eyefull, we should get out sometime, Im here in the loo too. Give me a shout sometime.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

A friend called me late this afternoon and told me to come look at a walleye another friend just caught. I got there and Jerry caught one that went over 8 pounds and another around 3 to 3-1/2. The 8 pounder was really fat and wide. Jerry got both on a walleye diver trolling slowly up river along a long rocky bottom and shorline and an outside turn of the channel in 7′ of water, just enough to make it ride the bottom. The cedars visability is around 12″, it was clearer last week.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Well thanks guys for all the help, finally got out Tuesday. Caught 5 eyes missed a few, a nothern and 3 cat one around 10 pounds.
    All fish came on a white flicker shad and a chat. jig along current seams in the faster water and behind a sandbar.

My mom caught only the second walleye in her life on her brand new pink rod which made her day. Nothing to big but alot of fun, released everthing for another day. Thanks for the offer ducky.

dcv1983

I get them by the dam in CR on jigs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.