Cedar 3/2/08

• walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Fished in Cedar Falls from about 3:30pm till 6:15. Water above Dry Run creek was still extrermely clear, but dry run is a mess. Fished a couple miles below Dry Run, then below the HWY 58 bridge, then back down at the mouth of Dry Run. Ended up with a Pike and a perfect dinner sized channel. Almost all the ice over the prime spots is gone, so with temps increasing, the bite has no where to go but up right now. All artificials today, no meat.

KTERSINAR
    marion IA

Can you fish these areas from a boat? Would love to come up ther and give it a try this Spring. The cedar down this way is pretty bad with all the plants that dump into it.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

With the temps increasing you might keep an eye open for beavers in that area also.

walleyesareus
    Cedar Falls, IA

hey ww, u see my tracks at dry run I have had decent luck there with small northerns and smallies this winter. As mentioned, I would really like to get into some nice pike there, you need to give me a shout out when you go out. I work for the conservation board at Hartman Reserve Nature Center and have late afternoons off. Thanks for the report!

mkvwalleyes

forrest Gump
    I also tryed this afternoon near Cedar Falls, Not much to show for my efforts. Worked the normal spots and had small fish for my effort. It was a great day to be out, no gloves and a lite coat. What a better way to start off March. It will only get better real fast, Lots of run off in the river and the ice is breaking up fast. Give it two weeks and the fish will be on the “tear” big time! Talk to you later.
    Matt

walleye_wisdom

Jighead-two — I agree, with this warmer weather, the beavers really start their big push. I notice a lot of beavers up around Campus, specifically near the Towers. I think i’ll head up that way and toss a worm around there and see what i can come up with, i hear they are hard to get though.

Walleyesrus- i did see what looked to be some fresh tracks up there, boy was it muddy!

Depends on the size of the boat, but i’d say a 16ft flat bottom could make it up there. I’d say even a 14ft V with a smaller outboard could, but many of these places are just as accessible from shore, if not easier to fish with waders.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

later this spring you should be able to boat from the bike bridge to the W’loo dam, but I wouldn’t want to go much above George Wyth these days, the river is low, but the water looked great Saturday morning. Now if the fish will start to cooperate life will be good.

walleye_wisdom

Seems like people have way better fishing in Cedar Rapids than we do here in Cedar Falls, do they have several warm water discharges down there? I can’t imagine the water is that much warmer just a little ways south.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Yes they have more warm water discharges. They have a lot of other discharges in general down south. They don’t call CR the city of 5 smells for nothing. The Cedar is a lot bigger by the time it gets to CR also. Try some of our smaller rivers up here WW, you won’t be disappointed.

walleye_wisdom

Pitched a jig for about 30 min today a ways down from the dam with no luck, just checking to make sure the eyes weren’t putting the sneak on me and i’d miss out on a quick bite.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.