Iowa River – Iowa City Walleye Report

• andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

We’ve seen some nice walleyes showing up at the dams and riffle areas on the Iowa the last couple weeks. Nothing over 19″ yet, but a quite a few 15-17 inch fish. All have come on jigs/twisters or jig/ringworm combos. The best for me has been a black BFT precision jig (1/8oz) with a chartreuse/metal flake 3″ twister tail. I think it’s the red eye on that jig that’s triggering a few more bites than other jig head colors. My buddies and I have had some really nice “smacks” the last few times out. Tonight we had the feeling that some more fish had shown up, but we were only able to land 3 with two misses. When the water gets back down and clears up a bit it will be in full swing and only getting better each day. I’ve also had some reports that the same scenario is falling in place on the wapsipinicon river. Now is the time to get out and catch (and release) some walleyes. Good luck!

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

I’ve been meaning to get out on the Cedar, but I just haven’t been able to tear myself away from Red Wing lately. Glad to see somebody’s catching fish around here!

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

you’ve been fishing red wing? how far a drive is that for you?

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Andy, It’s about three and a half hours, but dad’s got a place at Everts’ so I can stay the weekends (work schedule just changed, now working mon-thurs ) so it’s pretty easy to take off for three days and run the ol’ man’s new boat!!

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

i’m ready to go Sean!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.