walleye and smallmouths

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Went to the cedar this late afternoon with my daughters boyfriend and a scoup of minnows. We tied on slip bobbers because the waters clear and shallow and began drifting minnows. The first cast yeilded a largemouth about 1 1/2 pounds and about every 4th to 5th cast we got a smallmouth, lots of them but no size, biggest was about 14″. We went through that scoup of minnows in about an hour. We were fishing in about 2 to 4 ft of water in faster current, we had alot of misses. Two nights ago jigging in the same ravine i got a 4 pound walleye so thier feeding on minnows that are drifted and alive, a big minnow about 2 1/2″ long too. A guy that was down there got a hit on a 4″ jig and chartruese twister tail and he fought the fish for 20 minutes eventually loosing it. It stayed deep and wouldn’t come up, i don’t think it was a carp or it would have come shallow, this whatever it was stayed deep and right on the bottom, maybe a big flathead. Everybody there was using eigther jigs or minnows, thier there you just have to take your time and fish everything that looks good in faster water, anything in faster water will be feeding.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I put in above the 5-in-1 this morning for a while.

We pulled a few LM on buzzbaits early. I figured it would be a nearly perfect buzzbait morning with the haze and cloud cover, but that bite was slow. We pulled up and headed for the rock bank along Ellis Blvd, boated a few smallies, but none of any size unfortunately.

That pretty much ended our day, a few smallish bass. Where are the big boys hiding this time of year??!

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Not in the Cedar…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.