Maquoketa River

• jrwillems

Fished the Maquoketa on Thursday (late afternoon)below the Delhi dam for some walleye and what is usually a couple of hours of relaxation and a few fish, I got the relaxation but no fish! I guess the bite was not on! Was using jig and plastic. Maybe I needed to tip the jig with a minnow.Oh well, maybe I can get out another time this week. Let me know if any of you are fishing the Maquoketa!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

My luck below the dam there has been pretty spotty over the years. Taken some pretty nice smallies down that way, a few mega-crappies (14″+), and speared what seemed like endless carp during the hot months of summer. Down around the bend there is a pretty good hole where guys have told me the walleyes are a little thicker, but I haven’t spent any great deal of time exploring it.

All in all, the Maquoketa is a really sweet little getaway spot. My best stretch for the last few years has been from the dam complex at Manchester down past the RR tracks, but I have also had pretty good luck below the lake at Strawberry and a few other hotspots as well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.