zumbro river

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i was just wondering how the bite has been on the mighty scumbro lately. i have only been on it once this year and it was so dirty it was pointless to be fishing it. i usually take my canoe and float from either the power dam or the green bridge down to zumbro falls. on this strech all i’ve ever caught has been small smallies. someone was telling me that if you just fish the deep holes with a jig and a worm you can actually catch walleye on this strech! is this true? i never thought there were walleye in the zumbro.

JimW
    SE MN

jake,
    Years ago I specifically targeted white-tips in the Zumbro. In fact for it’s “class” of river, it has been
    labeled one of the states best walleye rivers!? I read a few years ago in Sports Afield or Outdoor life an
    article stating such.

I have heard of people catching them on the stretch near the green bridge.

As far as small smallmouth, what has been your tactic? There are some pigs in that river.

Keep the rods bendin’!!!

Jim W

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I have caught quite a few walleye and sauger b/w zumbro falls and hammond. I haven’t fished the upper end below the dam for walleye much. I floated from the dam to zumbro falls on 7-3 and had some good smallmouth action in the first few miles. Didn’t fish much after that. 1/8 oz jig head with a 3″ chartruse twister tail worked the best. Just cast upstream at an angle into the riffles and let the current take the jig downstream. The fish will be in the fastest water. I had always fished them in the current breaks or behind boulders, but I stumbled on them in the current by accident. They will sit right on the bottom. Also the areas just above the riffles hold good numbers of fish if there is a little depth….(waist deep or so). Good Luck. Let us know how the bite is now. Anyone have any battles with muskies on the zumbro yet this summer????

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.