First Outing

• BigLew
    SE Minnesota

Good Morning, My first outing of the season was pretty dismal. I was fishing the South Branch of the Zumbro River between Oxbow Park and Mantorville. After wading for about two and a half hours I finally hooked a spunky 11 inch smallie. I suspect that with the cool water the smallies may still be in the spawning stage and I just wasn’t in the right area. Hopefully my next outing will be more productive.

fishinsmallies
    Rochester, MN

I also didn’t have a very good outing today. I was out for an hour and caught 4 smallmouth (14, 12, 10, 10) and a 12″ trout. They were all caught in or around the rapids. The water was low and clear.

How did everyone else do this weekend?

F.S.

BigLew
    SE Minnesota

I went to another spot known mostly for small of size smallies and discovered that I could actually see a pair of smallies guarding their spawning bed. This pretty much confirms my theory that the streams just have not had enough time to warm up yet. We need another good week or two of the upper 70’s weather before we can exect the smallies turn their thoughts to food. (This is my guess, no basis of fact).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.