All the dumb luck but turned out ok

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Now I know why my grade school teacher said keep your thinking cap on.

I bought this little 6 horse Johnson for $100 bucks because it was so clean under the hood. I had to replace the water pump and thermostate because it was only kicking out a little water. I got that done and there was a miss when it idled slow so I fixed that, kinda figured it was the Champion plugs, bought some NGK’s yesterday and put those in because thier a darned good plug, even better then AC’s. I put the boat in the water and lifted up the gas can and I felt some weight so I thought I had enough gas. I got out on the river and went upstream and the boat planed out and ran like a sewing machine.

I got up river about a mile and a half and thought Id better turn around, again lifting the gas tank and feeling a little weight, thinking Id use less gas going down river with the current so I thought no problem. I made the turn to go down river and went about a block and the motor died. I thought dam- I can’t be out of gas can I. Well I tried to prime the carburator and all I got was air.

I knew better and slapped myself across the face a couple times and thought oh well its a nice night for a drift. I ran out of gas at 9:00 and didn’t get back down river to the ramp until 12:15. It was a nice night with bullfrogs and leopard frogs making all the noise they could with a very fait breeze. The bugs were out by the kazillions and I couldn’t keep my stern light on because of them but that was ok. Atleast I got out on the river and with no bait but atleast it was a nice float. I’ll know better next time like tonight and my first stop is the gas station, maybe the boy and his girlfriend and I’ll get lucky and catch a few channels. Note to self;; don’t forget to put gas and oil in the boats gas can.

jwcarlson

At least you didn’t have the bright idea of going downstream first.
    Three hour float huh? How far did you run upstream?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I ran out of gas just below Seminole valley, from there to the Edgewood bridge is close to a mile, then from there to the boat ramp, maybe just under a mile and a half.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

a 3 hour tour a 3 hour tour .
    Sorry brought back memories of Gilligan’s Island. I had to do that myself, at lest it was a nice float back.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I know what your saying EYE, I wonder how many guys do run out of gas atleast once, thats good enough for me for the next 20 years…

jwcarlson

I haven’t run out of gas… yet.
    I always open the gas tank and look into it instead of going by weight or the super accurate E-F guage they usually have.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.