Stovetop Popcorn

• jwellsy

With all the nostalgia threads lately, it got me to thinkin (which usually gets me trouble).

I haven’t used a manual stovetop popcorn popper in probably 40 years. I’m thinking of getting a new manual popcorn popper that can be used on a stovetop, grill or even a campfire.

Yeah, I know you can do it with an old sauce pan with a lid. I always preferred to be able to stir it to get a more even pop without burning and not staining a saucepan.

Are there any popcorn aficionados here that can share what features to look for in modern manual popcorn poppers?

They probably haven’t changed much in a 100 years. Just though it might be an interesting question.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Someone mentioned a bit ago (can’t remember who) that their Mom popped popcorn in bacon grease.
    That’s sounds pretty good.

jwellsy

Someone mentioned a bit ago (can’t remember who) that their Mom popped popcorn in bacon grease.
    That’s sounds pretty good.

Crisco shortening or Lard work really well too.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Bacon grease and cast iron.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

The Whirley pop

Attachments:
    1. 7FC5ED90-C5CE-4183-ACCA-8F1BAF5E1DF5.jpeg

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

From COOKS ILLISTRATED

. Heat 3 tablespoons oil and 3 popcorn kernels over medium heat in ­covered 4-quart pan.

When test kernels burst, remove pot from heat and add 1/3 cup popcorn.

Cover pot and wait 30 seconds before returning pan to heat.

When kernels start to pop, shake pan (with lid slightly ajar) until popping slows to 1 to 2 seconds between pops.

Preheating the oil with “test” kernels indicates when the oil has reached the optimal popping temperature (around 380 degrees), and the 30-second off-burner wait allows all of the kernels to gradually heat to the same temperature—so they pop almost simultaneously.

Opie
    Coon Rapids, MN

X2 on the Whirley Pop. Have used it for close to 15 years.

Coletrain27

I had a whirley pop and it worked good but the gears are are made out of plastic and they got brittle and broke bawling

Ice Cap

Whirley pop and bacon grease or coconut oil. Better yet is the pop corn over the camp fire. We do that probably 3 times a week up at the lake.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Are you guys saying there’s another way to make pop corn then the microwave…that comes pre buttered and salted??

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Stovetop Popcorn?

If you really want nostalgia, then Jiffy Pop is what you seek.

Who doesn’t remember gathering in front of the old B&W Zenith enjoying Jiffy Pop. yay

“As much fun to make as it is to eat”…

gary d
    cordova,il

Im with the Whirley popper with coconut oil. Work great for me.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

Stovetop Popcorn?

Who doesn’t remember gathering in front of the old B&W Zenith enjoying Jiffy Pop. yay

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”Jiffy Pop Popcorn 1970s Commercial” width=”850″ height=”638″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/UVdMA4QHdUU?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>
    <div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”VINTAGE JIFFY POP GENIE COMMERCIAL” width=”850″ height=”638″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xw94bqcDUxE?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

Stovetop Popcorn?

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”Jiffy Pop Popcorn 1970s Commercial” width=”850″ height=”638″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/UVdMA4QHdUU?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>
    <div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”VINTAGE JIFFY POP GENIE COMMERCIAL” width=”850″ height=”638″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xw94bqcDUxE?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/jiffy-pop-airbag/n10202

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Whirly pop and some sugar and you got kettle corn

robby
    Quad Cities

Memories! Thanks! However you end up cooking on stovetop. All turn out about the same. Douse with butter and salt. Good to go. Be generous with the napkins.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Douse with butter and salt. Good to go. Be generous with the napkins.

Douse with butter and salt…yeah!

Be generous with the napkins…meh, just wipe with your shirtsleeve. lol

jwellsy

My local farm store had Whirly Pops in stock so I went that route. Actually I got 2 one for inside the house and one for outdoors.

Those right angle drive gears do look rather cheap.

You can get a lid with metal gears.
    https://www.whirleypopshop.com/products/aluminum-whirley-pop-lid-with-metal-gears-replacement-lid-only-

If you have a 3D printer, you could have a go at printing your own gears.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:953855

Or, you can get them on Fleabay.

Of course after the fact I see that that they do sell a Whirly Pop model with the upgraded metal gears.

Also, I just saw another company call Great Northern Popcorn that makes a stainless steel version of the same thing with metal gears. Pictures can be deceiving but it may be a bit better quality for the same money.

Ryan Wilson

Large soup pot (7-10qt) with a layer of oil just enough to cover the bottom of the pot then add your kernels, also just enough for a single layer covering the bottom. This method will fill any size pot you’re popping in. Add both at the same time, a little salt, turn the heat to medium medium-high, wait a few minutes and get the lid ready!

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

That was my mom. She makes a mean fried egg sandwich with velveeta. I’m guessing she put a little bacon grease in there, too. Funny thing is she weighs about 100 pounds. I weigh quite a little more.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.