Storing Ice rods with thin tips?

• mrpike1973

I use a soft case with a rod sock. Over the years even trying to loosen the line and using lure wraps the tips get a bend to them. I think retying every time would be a pain what do you all do? Now that I have some nicer rods I really want them nice and straight. Any advice?

vinella

Best advice I can give, regardless of type of case, is to loosen your drag all the way before putting into the case.

Ryan Scholl

i hook my hooks in the foam of my hard case and loosed up the line so the tip isn’t under any tension. then when i get home i open up the case so it isn’t pushing on them.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have a Eagle Claw hard sided case, and just make sure there is no tension on them when putting away for the year.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Best advice I can give, regardless of type of case, is to loosen your drag all the way before putting into the case.

Great advice. I also do this every time and it has saved many of my rod tips. I put some of my rods in a PVC tube with a slit cut into it (for the reel handle to hang out) and Velcro on top to hold them in place. Others go into a hard side case. I would get rid of the soft side case or reinforce the sides so it is almost a hard case.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Also you should never keep a load on a light fiberglass rod tip. They will develop memory and keep the bend in them over time.

mrpike1973

Thanks everyone I do keep a loose drag but I think not enough great advice again thanks

Mike Otis

I’m a big fan of the Frabill 36″x10″x3″ case. It is much thinner than most rod cases which really helps me fit everything in a single sled. The inside foam also hugs the rods so nothing moves around in the case.

The only “downfall” is that you need to loosen the handle on your reel and fold in inwards. I personally don’t consider this a downfall though, it takes two seconds to fold them in.

Walmart has it on sale right now, but I prefer to spend my money at mom and pop shops.

Good luck out there this winter!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.