Storing hair jigs ?

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I don’t have a ton of them… but found a batch from two years ago… all balled up in a mess in a jar.

Anyone have a photo maybe of a nice, affordable way to store them? Maybe in a plano box, with styrofoam?

Also, is there a way to sort of straighten and clean them up once all folded over and such?

Fluffchucker
    NW Wisconsin

I’d probably just use Plano boxes for storing them. I’m cheap that way. Or possibly a streamer fly box. Though, all those are is a pistol case with some 3 or 4 mm foam glued to the sides with some slits cut into it. Ease to make yourself if you want to save a couple bucks.

To straighten out the hair, steam them. Boil water in a teapot or whatever, and hold the hair jig over the steam. Natural materials like bucktail should straighten out pretty good so long as they aren’t in too rough of shape.

thaddeus
    St. Cloud, MN

I use a Plano box without dividers and got some 1/2″ thick craft foam from Joann’s and cut to fit then glued with some Elmer’s glue. Works like a charm.

This is a great video to reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0jT1Sdn5QE

Attachments:
    1. image-67.jpeg

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I use plano boxes. Each jig weight gets its own box. I bought a bunch of small little ziploc bags from the craft section in walmart. Each bag holds two jigs of same pattern. Here is a picture of two of my boxes to give you an image of what I am talking about.

Attachments:
    1. hair-jigs.jpg

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Chuck,you know I have access to 100’s of bucktail hair jigs,last year I switch over to Plano 3601 shallow case.I keep 2-3 of each I use in stock at all times and the rest I just keep in the 2×3 bags they come in,in either in my motorhome or at my house and restock as needed.

The 3601 case being a shallow case leaves less room for jigs to move around, if you have any synthetic hair jigs it is best to store them by the pair in 2×3 bags (found at Walmart in craft section about $2.00 per 100 ct)

Another reason I like the 3601 case in you can put 2 of them in the same place as one 3600 case, think about it …how compartments do you fill FULL to the top ?

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

There is a post from a short while back where someone used a chunk of swim noodle that was cut to 3-4 inches in length and the jigs were stuck into end. Looked like a good idea.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

That’s the one.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I use plano boxes. Each jig weight gets its own box. I bought a bunch of small little ziploc bags from the craft section in walmart. Each bag holds two jigs of same pattern. Here is a picture of two of my boxes to give you an image of what I am talking about.

When rifling through them on the boat, are you putting them back into baggies wet?

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Perfect guys…. My entire effort is to maybe have less stuff, but have it all organized, and more useable. Getting past the time of just stuffing more grab into a bag, and never seeing the bottom of it.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Perfect guys…. My entire effort is to maybe have less stuff, but have it all organized, and more useable. Getting past the time of just stuffing more grab into a bag, and never seeing the bottom of it.

Chuck when I get back up to my motorhome this weekend I will shoot you a pic of my set up .

When rifling through them on the boat, are you putting them back into baggies wet?

I put mine on the boat deck out of my way and when dry I either put them in the hair jig case or bag

Charger

I have been using a Plano box without dividers, 1/4″ craft foam, assembled with double sided film tape. It has worked well.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0795.jpg

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

X2 on the foam idea. I’ve started tying flies and jigs with synthetic hair. The stuff is cheap, long, comes in many of colors and the main thing is that it’s consistent from one hank to the next. Anyone who uses Bucktail knows what I mean. That’s the good news. The bad news is that the synthetic hair tangles much worse than Bucktail. If you drop two jigs into the same compartment, they’re “married”.

Other than that, they make great looking lures with a lot of action in the water.

SR

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Schultz wrote:</div>

John and I have about the exact same set up. I buy bulk packs of small zip bags and bag them for use in Plano boxes. As for the wet jigs, I have a few peices of foam noodles ty-wrapped in my boat. All the loose or wet stuff goes on the noodle. When dry, I put them back in bags in the box.
    BTW – found out the hard way to secure those chunks of foam. They fly out of the boat at 60 mph

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.