St Louis River

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

The river has surely shown her ugly side this winter, except for the first 2 weeks of ice. If you look out there at 8am on a weekday morning, you will probably see two Otter Cabin houses and that’s about it! If you like no crowds, this is the place to be, but then there is the other side of the equation.

The 2 to 3 year old walleyes continue to rule the roost out there, as there 6 to 11 inch fish are drawn to any jigging spoon you have in the tackle box. There have been some VERY awesome nights, but those are about one a month and when you think you have a pattern down, the next day there gone. Fishing any kind of break or rise has been the most productive in the mornings, and during mid-day that 22 foot depth seems to be good. I was having walleyes rise 15 feet off the bottom today to smack the jig, to say they were hungry would be an understatement, but they ranged from 10 to 15 inches, some action at least.

Driving is tough but doable, but every time i get off the ice, i think the truck has a new rattle in it lol! If ya head out, stay in the shallower water in the low light periods and fish the shipping channels midday. Just don’t drive a truck in the channel as your tires will be punctured instantly from the jagged ice. Good luck if ya venture out, someone needs to get those walleyes before spring !

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Yet another report of very detailed conditions, stuff that guys want to hear or dont either way thanks much Grant and be safe as your spring rolls on!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.