St louis ice report 12-30-10

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Well we are now seeing an average of 10 to 13 inches of ice on the river from the harbor to spirit lake and above, excluding the shipping channel. Up until today there was 6 inches of snow on the ice, but it is mostly slush now. I fished out in the rain this morning and it is turning into a mess.

Ill report back tomorrow on ice conditions as i will head out. Be careful, even tho there is some decent ice, cracks are still there. I fished Wednesday morning and went out and there was a 3 foot crack by shore frozen up, no problem going over it on a sled, but when i came back it was wide open. So DON’T drive out there yet, and be extra careful with a wheeler. Those cracks can get gnarly.

Fishing has been slow for 2 weeks now, unless you like catching 8 to 14 inchers all day

Northlander
    Duluth, Mn/Superior,Wi.

Been slow out there lately with a lot of small 13-15″ fish. Did get a few nice ones with that 31″er Grant saw and a 26″ yesterday morning. What slushy mess we had out there yesterday morning locked up after a 2 degree night. Its slick ice with just a few snow patches now. Once again some fool driving a car out there too.
    Bring your ice cleats and a sail if you plan on fishing the next few days.
    The guys that were out this morning reported more of the same. Small fish and the bigger ones chasing around but just mouthing minnows or parts and not getting hooked.
    Dead sticks/bobbers seem to be doing better for once.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.