The 411?

• Vanellies

Anybody have any reports at all? I am going to be heading up by the Duluth area Fathers Day weekend. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

I’m heading up this weekend and will be happy to report after we get back. In the meantime, I was also hoping to get some info in the next day or two, before we leave. Anyone finding fish upstream (Spirit Lake up), or are most of them already down?

Thanks,

Jim

><(((>

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

My guess with the low water levels most of the lake fish are down.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I agree with Dan. If you were to target the lake fish, I would explore Barkers Island area and Allouez Bay.

Keep us posted. I need to live vicariously through these posts.

Sully

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

Just got back from my annual trip up with a couple of college buddies. Fishing was fair (walleyes) to decent (smallies). While I’m sure the numbers (for walleyes anyway) were better down stream, there were certainly enough eyes in upper portion of the River (Boy Scout up to the Dam) to hold our interest, plus give us the option to change gears and chase those hard fighting smallies. Most fish came on cranks, with Shad Raps being the best (chartreuse white, followed by shad pattern). Trolling upstream for eyes and casting current seams for smallies.

I understand the rain last week brought water levels up a bit from a few weeks ago, but it’s still the lowest I’ve seen it in the 23 years I’ve fished up there. That said, I was really surprised to see some of the fastest current I’ve ever seen during that same time period (including the high water/flooding years). She was really whistling from the bridge up. I guess that really is a testament to the fact that the water levels in Superior are down. Never had to get out to walk to boat across some of the really shallow spots, but it was darn close (especially when the water level dropped 6″-12″ depending on the water coming through the dam)

Good luck to all…

Jim

><(((>

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.