Any new St Louis river reports ?

• captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Was planning to go up Thurs and Fri but heard fishing was off on opener due to the high water. The water is down a foot from last weekend so was hoping the fishing would pick up. My experience has been that these fish are very sensitive to high muddy water. Not sure that high water techniques that work on the Miss R will work on the SLR. I guess living in the gin clear waters of L Superior the rest of the year doesn’t help matters. Plese post if you have or heard any recent (i.e. from Tues or today) reports. Thanks.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

See my comment on the opener thread, if you decide to come up I would concentrate on either spirit lake area, or outside the Superior entry in the mudlines.

Just to give ya an idea of how “off’ it was, on sunday at 9:30am there was exactly 1 boat fishing below the 23 bridge. If you’ve fished opener here before, you know how strange that would look

Bob Bowman
    MN

I can’t imagine that, on a normal year you can walk across the river on boats. That would indeed be a strange thing to see.

Jigmaster
    Superior,Wis

My buddy fished monday never touched a fish in spirit lake or down by hwy 2 bridge.Nobody he talked to had a bite.Id look for clearer water maybe between bridges or in the harbor.As far as Lake Superior i dont think you can get out of the mud. Mud line has to be a long way out after all the rain.Im going to try to get out friday am if not before with Dean Marshall from Everts Resort.The fish are there not gone to the lake yet i guarantee it.
    Jigmaster

Bob Bowman
    MN

I am sure that they have left the river and the bite is over

Jigmaster
    Superior,Wis

I hope everybody thinks that!No crowd at the landing or every boat stopping we you catch a fish.
    Jigmaster

Serpant
    Albertville, MN

Well, I will be up there checking it out today (Friday) also. And then back on Sunday. The good news, if its unfishable, Island and Fish lakes (resevoirs) are on the way to my buddies cabin. Good luck and will hopefully have a good, rod bending report on Monday.

Jigmaster
    Superior,Wis

Reports are getting better.Water is starting to drop this will help.2 reports of fish in 3-5 feet of water.
    Jigmaster

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Went despite the poor reports. Managed only a couple of fish Thurs afternoon in Spirit Lake on spinners and crawlers. We pulled out about 4:00 and headed to Mille Lacs. I see the flow continues to drop. Action should start picking up soon.

Serpant
    Albertville, MN

Well, the river was good on Friday and then really good on Sunday. The current was hardly moving Friday afternoon and Sunday. Both days nice weather, first time in three years having that kind of weather on that weekend.

It was slow up by the walleye alley and then down to Spirit Lake, but we managed our limit on Friday just downstream from Boy Scout, all fish between 18 to 22″…solid eyes. Same thing on Sunday , but more fast and furious. It was fun throwing back the 20 to 22″ers, and trying to catch 18″ for a meal or three. Dragging jigs (actually kept 1/8 ounce on the bottom) with leeches.

Chris

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I made it up as well last week for a few days off,even with the river conditions sounding nasty,the conditions improved everyday for me.Pitching chart-pepper and chart-whitecore ringies worked real well for me,but without a doubt # 7 shad raps were putting more fish in the boat for the majority of folks.That presentation though effective just isnt the most relaxing way to fish in walleye alley fighting the current and boat traffic.

Biggest fish was a 25 inch male with several other companions in the 22-24 inch class.I only had 1 fish under legal size.It was fun to see a 45 muskie brought to the boat from a camping neighbor on 6# test along with sever sturgeon that tested the endurance of fisherman and tackle!
    One other note,almost all of the males were milking,and I would anticipate the bite to continue to be good for some time yet unless the river does something drastic.

A special thanks to Jigmaster,Steve Vick,and the other IDA folks for there help on this trip….much appreciatted!

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

I fished the 22nd and 23rd mainly from the 23 bridge up….with only 2-3 fish each day for 2-3 hours of fishing. Some fish being caught on shad raps, but nothing like last years 200 fish days I encountered with James, Dean and Jim! Plan on hitting the river on Sunday with James. Maybe some of his magic will come Nort’ with him! Will post results.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Steve,
    good luck next weekend. take your CAMERA!!!
    I am heading to Willmar, and lake Florida, sunday and monday.
    Jack..

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My ‘majic” has been packed and I’m on my way! Walleyes beware!

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

James or Steve,

Curious as to how you did on your outing on Sunday/Monday?

Thanks,

Jim

><(((>

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Never made it out.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.