report 8-15,16

• sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

Spent a few days on the river chasing muskies, I have never been here before musky fishing so this was all new to me,I tried everything, trolling deep and shallow in the harbor flats, casting all over the lower river and spent some time up river. we went back into pokagama bay and I was surprised that because of the clay colored water the weeds only grew out to 2ft, I was expecting lush cabbage but no dice and no fish back there. The one solid pattern we did find was pike in the 4-6lb range around the numerous old pier piling that are all over the lower river, if you want to have some fun catching pike this is the place to go. I did raise one 40 inch class musky that swang and missed a bucktail and followed to the boat, I figure 8ed him but he just didn’t get hooks. Any suggestions on musky for the nexted trip up would be appreciated.

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Thanks for the report sippi. I haven’t tried for muskies that far down yet. Good to hear that they are there though. I have been concentrating 4-5 miles above the harbor and seeing fish every trip. Lots of aggressive fish on topwater baits the past few trips out. I am new to the river as well, but it is fun trying to find new spots. I have not found much for what I call true “cabbage”….lots of grassy stuff, but still looking for the cabbage. Note:The fish DO like the grass too! . Thanks again for the report.

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

That grassy stuff is everywhere and hard to fish thru,the next time I go up I am going to get one of those big moss bosses to work thru that stuff, there has to be some fish in it. Everytime I go I put another piece inthe puzzle, I think I will be up there for opener next year.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.