On Ice (#0006) – St. Louis River Update

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Filmed on the St. Louis River in Duluth, Mn – December 24, 2011. Grant Sorensen gets an early start and talks changing ice conditions, fish movements and how to catch a nice batch of walleye on a Custom Jigs & Spins Slender Spoon.

Note: This video is the sixth in a new series from In-Depth Outdoors. The concept is simple. Give all members of the In-Depth Outdoors Ice Pro Staff Team full-blown camera gear and editing equipment and cut them loose to film the day-to-day details that could never be captured by a production style camera crew.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Good work, Grant. Now, where do the big fish go when they move upriver? Is it safe to assume that the current in the river makes following those fish unsafe?

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Love the way he talked to the fish I know what its like to miss a fish 3 times and then catch it too bad his line broke

arklite881south

Great piece buddy!! Those are some very nice eaters and certainly nothing to scoff at. Grant……What size Slender spoons are you using? As you know I do love the Lightning spoons, but feel the Gold colored slender spoon might be very effective up here in our stained water.

jasonlem
    New Prague

Great job editing out all the f’en heimers I heard when your line snaped from your heater!

Northlander
    Duluth, Mn/Superior,Wi.

Grant I have a feeling them bigger fish are sitting up by the docks on the flats, maybe Arrowhead. Too bad theres terrible ice by the docks and really no way to get out there even when there is good ice. Maybe we need to go check arrowhead some day and see what the ice is like up there.
    They surely arent up to Boyscout yet from what I have seen.
    Nice vid by the way.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

Good work, Grant. Now, where do the big fish go when they move upriver? Is it safe to assume that the current in the river makes following those fish unsafe?

The fish do move around a lot that is forsure. Although there is no direct proof or GPS studying that indicates the fish leave an area and always head up river, it is what I believe happens. To me it is evident that they do move, due to average size of fish on a day to day basis, and the mood of the fish, and some will say weather is a contributor to their mood, but im looking past that, into the fish’s actual behavior, because different groups, or runs of fish, will act differently.

Following the fish can be impossible yes. There are just parts of the river that you cant fish due to ship traffic, current, and also accessibility issues. The majority of the ice fishermen out here walk out and pull their shack by hand. It is a very rare ocassion when one could drive a sled or wheeler from the harbor up to the 23 bridge.

Furthermore, another huge factor that challenges the anglers ability to target these moving fish is time, and by time im referring to the number of minutes these fish are active during a day. To those who fish this body of water, you know as well as i do that these fish rarely bite all day long. On average i would say 20 to 90 minutes per day these fish are actually feeding with agression. What does that mean for the angler? You could be in the percise area and have no idea these fish are even there if you are fishing at 1 pm, or even 10 am. That in itself is probably the greatest challenge that we are faced with on a given day. You cant be everywhere when that 7am, or 415pm dinner bell rings.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

Grant I have a feeling them bigger fish are sitting up by the docks on the flats, maybe Arrowhead. Too bad theres terrible ice by the docks and really no way to get out there even when there is good ice. Maybe we need to go check arrowhead some day and see what the ice is like up there.
    They surely arent up to Boyscout yet from what I have seen.
    Nice vid by the way.

Yeah steve, i hear ya there. I havent seen a fish over 23 come from up river. Maybe we should search around this weekend on arrowhead. Our springtime honey hole has to hold some fish in the winter wouldnt ya think?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.