Starting to get the itch!!!

• Michael Boyack

I am starting to get the itch. I have two different problems that I am hoping you all can help me with.

First, me and four of my buddies are planning our annual ice fishing trip. We have been to all the usual suspects, Mille Lacs, Winnie, Leech, Big Lake. Pretty much everything but Red and LOW. Two of us come from western suburbs and three come from Western Minnesota (Alexandria area). We try to stay within a couple hours for everybody so Red and LOW are off limits for the most part. We have always stayed in sleeper houses that we rent however this we are thinking about resorts with Cabins that also rent houses for the day. Who has some recommendations on where to go? We would love the ability to catch fish all day and catch pan fish with the options of Walleye towards the evening hours. Where have you been that you have loved or hated? We are open to sleeping on the ice but we are all getting to old to sleep on “beds” that are nothing but plywood with carpet over them.

Issue two. I have a Cabela’s 5 sided house shelter that I love when I bring the family (wife and two young daughters) out to ice fish. I am hoping to get out a few more times with just the older daughter (5 Years old) and need something a little more manageable for the two of us. I would like a sled style if possible but it would not be necessary. I don’t like the suitcase style houses as I have had issues with them in the past. Something that can be put up and down easy and we can get ready to fish before losing interest. I was looking at the Clam Nanook or Yukon as options. The Eskimo Evo1 or Evo2 has also caught my eye as possibilities. What else should I be looking at as options?

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Your group is missing some fabulous fishing not going to Red or LOTW in December. I’d advocate spending a few extra hours on the road. It’ll be a treat. 10-30 walleyes/day/angler isn’t that uncommon!!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Your group is missing some fabulous fishing not going to Red or LOTW in December. I’d advocate spending a few extra hours on the road. It’ll be a treat. 10-30 walleyes/day/angler isn’t that uncommon!!

I know that you are trying to stay within a few hours drive of everyone but i gotta agree here – red and LOTW are such excellent fisheries for walleyes you really ought to consider taking a few extra hours for the commute. Having said that, since you guys are west a ways have you considered south dakota? The walleye bite out there has been on fire the last few years from what i hear.

404 ERROR
    MN

Devils lake is only 4 hours from Alex…keep that in mind…It’s an amazing fishery. Woodland Resort in Creel Bay does a great job of keeping people on the schools. I’ve been all across MN, WI and the Dakotas and Devils is my favorite lake to ice fish by far.

Justin Phillips
    Bloomer, WI

Also getting the itch, mostly because my step dad is planning a trip I am super excited about going on. We will be going to Lake Gogebic in the U.P. for jumbo perch and eater walleyes. Been a bucket list trip for a couple years so I am pretty pumped especially as a perch guy! Also, I agree with the above, I know you said you wanted to keep it within a couple hours, but you really should consider the Red Lake trip. Such an amazing walleye experience!

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

Please share your trip ideas here in the forums! A few trips I want to make this year are:

1. LOTW Crappies and Walleyes in the Angle
    2. Sturgeon Fishing on the St. Croix (close to home!)
    3. Sioux Narrows for Pike (Crawfords Camp)
    4. Leech Lake for eater Walleyes (Trappers Landing)
    5. Bay De Noc for Trophy Walleyes
    6. Backwaters Mississippi with Koonce for Pannies
    7. Burbot fishing in Paul Bunyan Country
    8. Lake Winnipeg for giant Greenbacks
    9. Devils Lake for Football sized Perch
    10. And if I don’t make it to the above 9 destinations for some reason, I look forward to camping out in the Glacier on my home lake, Lake Minnetonka.

Ian Oscar Thorson
    Grand Forks, North Dakota

Also starting to get restless! As far as the annual trip goes, I agree with the others. Early ice red lake (with a little homework) is well worth the drive. LOW lodges are just an awesome experience on their own for vacation sakes.

As far as shelters: Thermal, thermal, thermal. Even some thermal is better than none. The suitcase freeze ups really can be a nightmare. The main thing to look at with sled-style shelters is weight, and height (did I mention thermal?) I love my nanook thermal. I typically hand tow out to a spot until I can use the truck to get out, and use the snowmobile for the in-between, so in any case, it’s a great shelter to even move around on your own.

I’m not a big guy by any means, and the nanook is fairly light in comparison to some other shelters, but it depends on you want to transport everything out, and the nanook has plenty of space but a relatively shallow sled. Another double-edged factor to it is the height. I’m 5’10, and can’t fully stand up in mine, but I prefer it for being in these NoDak winds so I don’t turn into a sail and have to have a foot race with my shelter.

Full thermal is something that is hard to go back from. Definitely worth the extra cost and warms up incredibly fast (really great for beginning ice anglers). Best of luck this season, and best of luck for the big trip!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Red is only about 2 hours past Leech, and IMO definitely worth the extra drive. Especially early in the year. I also have a Nanook thermal, which is nice, but as noted it’s tough to spend a full day in it due to the short height. Positive is it is super easy to heat and keep heated, and I can take it in and out of my truck solo. Whatever you decide, definitely go thermal.

As for trips, probably spending a lot of time on Waconia and Tonka since they are so close, and a trip to LOW, Red, and numerous trips to the Park Rapids area. Probably a day trip to Mille Lacs also. But that is still a long ways off, plenty of fun to be had this fall yet!!!!

Michael Boyack

First of all I love that all of you are still reading the ice fishing forum in late August. I expected a response or two in the next week. Not 6 in the first 12 or so hours.

You all have me convinced. I talked to a couple of the guys last night and it sounds like we are going to give Red a go. Anybody have recommendations for resorts and/or fish house rentals? I did some quick Google searching last night and it appears that PortAvilla, Alpine, and Red Lake Remote seem to be good options for 5 guys as they have some 5 man houses. Anybody have any experience with any of these?

Thanks for the recommendations on the houses. I was thinking Thermal so I could just use a Mr. Buddy or something smaller to heat it. I have a sunflower heater for the 5 sided but don’t want to bring that into a flip house, especially with a 5 year old. I will have to go to a ice fishing show or two and sit in a few before making a decision.

This forum is the best! Thanks again for all the responses.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Red is my favorite lake but that’s were I started fishing and hunting so easy for me to like. You will love a trip up there. I do have to say South Dakot webster area would be great if you are looking for panfish and eyes. We do well for crappies ,perch and eyes all in one trip.

Red Lake remote is good he brings you out to the house. If you bring a sled or wheeler you can get out and roam and fish more spots. You leave the truck on shore.
    Not sure there are spots open but Beacon Harbor would be the next one I would try.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Anybody have any experience with any of these?

I’ve always self guided when up there so no experience w/ accommodations. We usually use JR’s access on the south end (they have rentals too), as it’s a closer drive to spots on the lake I like to fish. Also, they have a $5 fry your fish deal that is tough to beat too! If you and your group can stay flexible on the date you go, I would just watch the reports and go as soon as possible once it’s good to go. One of the best days I’ve ever had ice fishing there was on Black Friday a few years ago, but you may not be able to get out until xmas depending on the weather.

Reed

I’ve been using Portavilla for a number of years and have always had good luck with the ice we’ve been on. Few years back it we had a slow bite due to old ice, but they were very prompt with getting us on fresh ice and could keep up with the bite! Not only that they have some really nice houses!

I really haven’t heard anything bad from about of the place out there though. I’m counting down the days to my January trip!

Brennon Nielson

im out west so my destination trip this year is Flaming Gorge for the annual Burbot Bash and also to catch some monster lakers!!!

schoff
    S.E., SD

Can’t wait to spend most weekends jumping around the NE corner of SD. Then back up to Winnipeg in early March…..come on ice!!!!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I love NE South Dakota! Can’t wait to get back out there!

I will probably fish Leech mostly since its my home lake. but a few trips I would love to make are:
    1. Lake Winnipeg
    2. Back to Ely and get into some big sunfish and hit up Knife for Lakers
    3. NE South Dakota
    4. sit in a glacier ice house with nick on Tonka.
    5. explore more lakes in the walker area.

All depends on how busy the resort is this winter. I know its going to be another good year on Leech.

George Dutrey

Blackduck lake is smaller body but the fishing is good. We stayed at Dunrovin Resort, It is really nice and the folks that run it were great. The perch and crappie were quality and there is huge gills in there.

likes2fish

After seeing last years episode I am planning on heading from Minnesota out to Henry’s Lake the week before, or week after, Thanksgiving (depending on ice conditions). Also plan on making plenty of closer trips to the surrounding states and Canada.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Winnipeg in March hopfully. That’s the early plan anyway, which would be first time for myself. Otherwise a trip to LOW and Red as usual.

Dylan Johnson
    Pequot Lakes Mn

I will probably fish Leech mostly since its my home lake. but a few trips I would love to make are:
    1. Lake Winnipeg
    2. Back to Ely and get into some big sunfish and hit up Knife for Lakers
    3. NE South Dakota
    4. sit in a glacier ice house with nick on Tonka.
    5. explore more lakes in the walker area.

All depends on how busy the resort is this winter. I know its going to be another good year on Leech.

I’ll put you on to some good spots. On the whitefish chain. Along with some smaller lakes around backups

theflatlander
    NULL

I have been working on my portable in the garage again, trying to get it ready/able to do 3-4 nights in a row trips.

early ice I am planning on at least two trips to URL for walleye
    Two trips to Winnipeg late ice for green backs is on the list
    This one is going to be hard to swing but I would like to go Ft. Peck for four days to chase big trout, pike, and walleye.

The rest will be spent in ottertail county

Bring on the ice!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.