Starter gone bad ?

• Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

Ok guys
    Got stranded yesturday out on big lake down in wabasha.Anyways i ran from peterson boat landing up to big lake Ol blue ran perfect.I fished i wanna say about a half hour and went to start up the motor.
    All i got was a high pitch squeel.So i started trolling back to the Alma marina and called my dad.I tried it again and started up on 3rd click over.I asked a group on facebook and they said starter solinoid.Just looking for a second opinion.I also looked up how to change out a starter I think i can do it but might want a professional to do it

basseyes

Check your main ground and battery connections. I had a ground that looked clean on my motor and it did some odd stuff. Might not be it, but can’t hurt to clean the main ground on the motor.

Nick Matti

Depending on the age of the motor…

I’d start by “tapping” on the starter with a wrench. The second thing I would do is clean up the shaft on the starter and re-grease it.

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

Check your main ground and battery connections. I had a ground that looked clean on my motor and it did some odd stuff. Might not be it, but can’t hurt to clean the main ground on the motor.

Ok so just check if the bolt is tightened all the way on ?

deertracker

Take a wire brush to clean the connections off and put it back together. Then try it.
    DT

deertracker

Have you tried to start it with the hood off? When you try to start it is it spinning but not raising up to engage the fly wheel? If that is the case try spraying it with WD40 and see if that helps.
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

What outboard brand and what year?

It would help greatly if you were able to remove the cowling when the malfunction is occurring and tell us what you see.

1. Is the little gear at the TOP of the starter shaft “flying” out and engaging the teeth of the flywheel? Or is the starter just spinning?

I suspect based on your description, that your starter Bendix gear is stuck and may not be flying out properly. Clean with spray cleaner and then lubricate the helical shaft on the top of the starter.

2. Are all battery connections tight and corrosion free?

3. Is your starting battery properly charged and is it holding a charge?

Grouse

Karry Kyllo

If you do need a new starter, they are really pretty simple to change yourself.

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

Ok guys i think the problem was a little corosion on the battery which is pictured also the bolt next to the yellow wire was loose i tightened all bolts down.Going to run it tomorrow at a landing i hope and try it since i already got bitched at for turning the water off to the entire camp ground.so ill try it at a ramp and let you all know tomorrow night.and Grouse the little gear is turning and flying up.So as of now i hopefully solved the issue.Now i got a excuse to go fishing tomorrow

Attachments:
    1. image-6.jpeg

2. image-5.jpeg

Jonesy

Well did you get it fixed?

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

I havent got to try it today sadly

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If the starter motor spins its not a connection.

Take a close look at the ring gear on the flywheel to see if there is a spot that has bad or missing teeth. The starter gear won’t engage if the ring gear is not fully toothed and or some are missing. The flywheel’s gear looks real clean as does the starter gear. It could be the starter shaft is dirty and not allowing the full amount of travel the starter drive requires….you can give the shaft a shot of wd-40. If the problem persists just pull the starter and pop the gear/starter drive off and install a new one. Be sure to clean the starter shaft when you replace a drive .

gary d
    cordova,il

One suggested to tap on the starter. Sometimes that will work, but you have to be very careful that you do not tap to hard. You can brake the magnets on the starter motor. Than the starter is shot for sure. Good luck with it!!

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

Update
    Ran really well tonight thanks everyone for the imput now im working the seafom through it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.