St. Croix Rods Warranty Concern

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

So, I have a 6’10” mlxf Legend Elite that the insert fell out of and I called to get a replacement tip and they want to charge me ten bucks for it. Is this the new norm? I was upset and ended up leaving a voicemail with the warranty claims manager. Surprised as they used to have great warranties, now they want to charge me to replace my own tip. Sad to see and was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem?

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Is $10 really worth getting upset and wasting the time and energy to go online and complain about it

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Is $10 really worth getting upset and wasting the time and energy to go online and complain about it

Yup. I can order one for ten bucks online, so how is it covered by warranty? Guess it’s the first time St. Croix let me down. They used to ask for your address and send one out no charges or questions asked. For 40 more bucks I can just break the d@mn rod and have them send me a new one.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Complaining about getting a $450 rod fixed for $10? Wow

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Yes, “used too”. Times are changing

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Your right. I paid $450 for the rod. They aren’t fixing it, I am. They are charging me for a replacement tip that I will put on the rod. How are they fixing it?

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I guess not. Surprising. I used to go up to Park Falls every year to visit the rod factory and what not.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grubson wrote:</div>

Your right. I paid $450 for the rod. They aren’t fixing it, I am. They are charging me for a replacement tip that I will put on the rod. How are they fixing it?

Didn’t say they were.
    You’re getting a $450 dollar rod fixed for a cost of $10 and you’re complaining. 1st world problems.
    If you want I’ll take it off your hands and gladly pay the $10 for the part.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If it makes you feel better, Sage to me to enclose a check for I think $325.00 on a warranty rod replacement. I believe I instructed them to rot in hell

Loomis13
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jake D wrote:</div>

Just a heads up for the future. The legend series are $110 for replacement through gold star program. They increased that a couple years ago.

acarroline

Their warranty has saved me many times and is more than reasonable, IMO. Many others that aren’t…

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I guess if paying retail for a replacement tip is now the benchmark of warranty service, I’ll just have to set my bar lower. At least they didn’t charge me 200% retail or something like that, just full regular retail.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Well, I agree, pay the $10 for the right tip and don’t look back. All high end rods are basically finished offering lifetime warranty’s. Too many guys break them via accidental causes 6 years later. If a defect is in a rod it will show up within the first year. After that it’s usually something the owner did. Hence the warranty’s are now basically they will replace their rod for cost, maybe not keeping the customer happy but part of the high price for high end rods are for the limited warranty support. We would all pay lower prices if the manufacturers didn’t have to supply 2 rods for every one sold.

acarroline

Edited, didn’t see the 8 years old part…

tswoboda

How old is the rod? I think current Legend Elites use Torzite guides which would make that a $30 tip top.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

The serial number puts it manufactured, April of 2016. Like I said, my bar has been lowered. I certainly didn’t do anything to the tip, I remember tying on a hair jig and after casting a few times, the insert just fell out and was sitting above my jig on n the line. I feel that should be replaced by the warranty, as the warranty covers manufacturing defects. I get if you slam the tip of your rod in a car door or rod locker, you should have to pay, but the insert falling out? I have another St.Croix the insert fell out on the 3rd guide from the handle, after I was fighting a 50 pound Flathead, so it’s not the only Croix that had the insert fall out.

tswoboda

Just trying to help by letting you know you can’t replace that tip top for $10 on your own, that’s all. Best deal is going to be paying Croix for the tip top.

No ones cares about my opinion but here it is anyway. I think rods should have 1 year warranties maximum, but I don’t even buy rods so I really don’t care. Rod warranties get abused and then you’re all paying for Joe Shmoe to stick his rod in a ceiling fan and get a new one for free, that you paid for. But if you want a 8 year old tip top replaced because a manufacturing error just popped up after 8 years of use, then have at it.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

And it’s 8 years old…… rotflol

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I’ve been frequenting there retail store in park falls for many years now and they “used” to do a lot of things like sell repaired warranty rods for a discount, A,B rods priced accordingly to what was done, they do not do that anymore because of abuse of it, people re selling as new on eBay,etc. I was thoroughly in impressed last summer as my son and bass league partner warranty multiple rods and upgraded some and the only complaint they said to him was to call a head next time so they could make sure they had all the rods in stock!

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Grubson, glad you’re amused. Thumbs up buddy! Again, my bar has been lowered. I now understand that I shouldn’t expect a 15 year warranty to mean 15 years, I get it.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Just trying to help by letting you know you can’t replace that tip top for $10 on your own, that’s all. Best deal is going to be paying Croix for the tip top.

No ones cares about my opinion but here it is anyway. I think rods should have 1 year warranties maximum, but I don’t even buy rods so I really don’t care. Rod warranties get abused and then you’re all paying for Joe Shmoe to stick his rod in a ceiling fan and get a new one for free, that you paid for. But if you want a 8 year old tip top replaced because a manufacturing error just popped up after 8 years of use, then have at it.

I agreed, if I slammed it in a ceiling fan, I’d have less of an issue paying $150 or whatever to get a new one. I might’ve used the rod 20 times in total, never really liked it, was a replacement for an old 6’9” legend extreme, which I did like. I am selling the 6’10” to my brother in law and told him I’d replace the tip, otherwise it would’ve went back into the corner of the basement it sat in. Maybe after 7 years, they have the inserts just fall out so we can pay them to send us a new one. whistling

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I should have asked if they wanted to charge you for a shipped in repair or a walk in? I’d almost guarantee they’d repair or replace it free of charge if you walked into their shop in park falls. The money they want to repair is probably to cover shipping cost.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

As others have mentioned, if the rod breaks it is not covered under a “warranty”. More like a discount on a replacement. I think the Legends are over $100 and the Eyecon’s are $60 or so.

I can go into Scheels and buy one of their “ONE” series rods for $300+ and snap it over my knee and go back in and get a new one within 3 years.

I do use St. Croix rods and have a lot of them, FWIW.

MX1825

Steve how many St. Croix rods do you own?

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I said this in another thread that was similar. St. Croix has always been great. I’ll gladly take anyone’s Croixs and have bought many on here.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I can go into Scheels and buy one of their “ONE” series rods for $300+ and snap it over my knee and go back in and get a new one within 3 years.

For 50% off, even Scheels has significantly changed their warranty over the years. And anything beyond 3 years is not covered for any reason.

http://www.scheels.com/e/post/scheels-fishing-rod-warranty.html#:~:text=As%20part%20of%20our%20commitment%2C%20SCHEELS%20Outfitters%20branded,workmanship%2C%20materials%2C%20and%20breakage%20under%20normal%20fishing%20situations.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.