St. Croix rods suck

• jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Ok I actually really really like their fishing rods. Their customer service leaves little to be desired though. I was on a fishing trip in Canada and had a blank fail and snap the last two eyelets off while hoisting a 10″ eye over the side of the boat. I filled out the warranty claim and haven’t heard jack squat. Also called into the company several times. I seriously think they scrapped their whole warranty department. I guess I won’t be buying any of their rods again.

Ripjiggen

It takes a while but eventually they will email you a claim number.
    Just went through it took a couple months and 70$ and then I got my rod replaced.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Have gone through the process a handful of times in the last 2 years. Have had nothing but good service and fast replacements as long as they have the rod in stock.

Sometimes it has taken a few months if they’re sold out depending on time of year.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

I’ve always had good customer service from St. Croix. The only issue I ever had that wasn’t handled in a timely fashion was when there was an issue getting parts during the Covid pandemic.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Gotta big trip planned next week? coffee

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

My only complaint, which is minor, they put their hook keepers on 2 Bass x rods below the reel as just above the reel seat. Kinda clumsy.

MX1825

I haven’t had to deal with Croix’s customer service in several years. When I did there was no problems and I was very satisfied.

jack klusa

I give everything about St. Croix rods and A+ except for the Bass X line. I find those rods are a little too brittle and break very easy

jagermeister
    NW Ontario

On my third extreme in 2 years . This rod is not abused but snaps 6″ from the tip each time. Last rod lasted 2 hrs. They are slow but do get back to you. I have an older extreme that I guide with and never a problem. Think there is a problem with the blanks?

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

No I don’t but two months is too long of a period to not hear anything plus they obviously dont have a functioning warranty call center anymore.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

“Suck” is a strong term, but I’ve moved on from St. Croix rods too. There are 2 in my arsenal but won’t be adding any more.

I just don’t see the value and it’s been well documented that their customer service is slow/difficult to get access to.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I wouldn’t replace any rod with the same, if it snapped hauling in a 10 inch walleye… that rod does suck ! doah

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I’m not going to comment on their warranty issues, I’ve never owned one and don’t plan to ever buy one.

But are you claiming warranty on an obvious break you created? 95% of all rods that break due to workmanship will happen the first 2-3 times of use. Hoisting a walleye over the side of the regardless of size, will stress any bruise on a blank. And this time you found the bruise.

Maybe that’s how their system works, I honestly don’t know?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Hoisting a walleye over the side of the regardless of size, will stress any bruise on a blank. And this time you found the bruise.

So you think hoisting a what half pound fish caused damage to his rod? I’m not going to say you can whip them around like your pulling in Bass with your heavy sticks, but come on a 10 inch eye? If the rods I am paying that kind of money for are that brittle than I’ll pass.

CaptainMusky

Heck I swing 24″ walleyes or dang near that long over the side of the boat with my sixgill fishing rods and I have never had an issue. Id go with their rods because they do BOGO and they are fantastic.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Never had an issue with their rods, I own about 5 or 6 of them. I broke one about 6 inches on a premier that was about 10 years old once two seasons ago. It was way past its warranty but they offered me a replacement at minimal fee plus S & H. Got a brand new rod for about 1/4 of the MSRP.

I’ll continue to use their products solely based on this experience and the flawless use of my current ones year after year.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TillrLife wrote:</div>
    Hoisting a <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye over the side of the regardless of size, will stress any bruise on a blank. And this time you found the bruise.

So you think hoisting a what half pound fish caused damage to his rod? I’m not going to say you can whip them around like your pulling in <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Bass with your heavy sticks, but come on a 10 inch eye? If the rods I am paying that kind of money for are that brittle than I’ll pass.

I’m with you on this. I will boat flip a 20 inch fish all day long. If that breaks your rod then time for a different rod. What would happen if you horse in a fish or accidentally catch a hog of a fish. A light action rod should be able to boat flip a 10 inch walleye

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Heck I swing 24″ walleyes or dang near that long over the side of the boat with my sixgill fishing rods and I have never had an issue. Id go with their rods because they do BOGO and they are fantastic.

I love my sixgills, but I’m sure everyone here knows that. I’ll grab my lykan over my Loomis every day

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TillrLife wrote:</div>
    Hoisting a <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye over the side of the regardless of size, will stress any bruise on a blank. And this time you found the bruise.

So you think hoisting a what half pound fish caused damage to his rod? I’m not going to say you can whip them around like your pulling in <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Bass with your heavy sticks, but come on a 10 inch eye? If the rods I am paying that kind of money for are that brittle than I’ll pass.

I never said hoisting the walleye is what damaged the blank, I said it found the bruise in the blank. It wasn’t meant to turn into an argument of what you’ve done in the past. It was a question if that’s how St. Croix handles their warranty claims.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Count me as one who’s had nothing but great experiences with St. Croix. It is the brand that I probably own the most of. That said, I agree that the quality of SOME of their current lineup is not the greatest. I’ve had a few issues with the mojo bass rod series. Was told by warranty service not to swing bass over a few Lb’s into the boat with them. I have an older tourney series rod that I’ve swung probably thousands of bass over over 2lbs into the boat with. That rod is probably 20+ years old and never a issue.

CaptainMusky

I love my sixgills, but I’m sure everyone here knows that. I’ll grab my lykan over my Loomis every day

I think mine are Myakka? The ones I got have those special guides that remove line twist. You can cast them a mile!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I think mine are Myakka? The ones I got have those special guides that remove line twist. You can cast them a mile!

I have 4 of those as well. And a few akylos. Along with a handful of other ones. The dreadnought is the best spinning reel I’ve used in a long long time

tswoboda

95% of all rods that break due to workmanship will happen the first 2-3 times of use.

Yes!

Maybe that’s how their system works, I honestly don’t know?

It’s how all the rod warranty systems work and I hate it. It’s rod warranty culture and I don’t know who started it but it’s the dumbest thing ever.

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

Ok I actually really really like their fishing rods. Their customer service leaves little to be desired though. I was on a fishing trip in Canada and had a blank fail and snap the last two eyelets off while hoisting a 10″ eye over the side of the boat. I filled out the warranty claim and haven’t heard jack squat. Also called into the company several times. I seriously think they scrapped their whole warranty department. I guess I won’t be buying any of their rods again.

My advice is to hang in there. I filled out a claim on line. Within 2 business days I received an email with a claim number. I was instructed to call St. Croix’s Warranty Department. I called immediately. I left a called back number—No response/Callback. I did this for 10 business days. Finally on the 11th day A PERSON ANSWERED THE CALL! I completed my business in a few minutes. I then asked why I did not receive a call back previously. He could not explain why. He did say “some people have told him before about this”. But, he seemed unconcerned. Oh well…

CaptainMusky

It’s how all the rod warranty systems work and I hate it. It’s rod warranty culture and I don’t know who started it but it’s the dumbest thing ever.

It was either St Croix or Loomis who started it.

isu22andy

Pretty impressed with my limit creek durability . What model of six gill you like the Lykan ? In the market for a new rod. It’s funny – when I was a kid I broke rods all the time – now that I fish 2-3 days a week I never break em . Learn what to do and what not to do for sure.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I understand what TillrLife is trying to say. I have seen it happen. A guy casts a heavy jig and you hear it hit the rod as it flys out. The next cast it snaps at the spot where the jig hit the blank. He is pissed because his rod snapped for no reason. Well it snapped because it got damaged and as soon as enough stress was put back on that spot it gave. Blanks are just fibers and epoxy. The lighter the rod, the thinner the blank is and the easier it is to bruise it. Another issue is after you pass the 45 degree bend mark you start to add stress to the blank. When fighting a fish this is called high sticking. Swinging your rod into the air to lift a fish into the boat will do the same thing. One would put a lot less stress on the blank if you left the fish into the boat while keeping your rod handle horizontal. This way the rod doesn’t bend into the danger zone.

I always had good experiences with St. Croix rod and their blanks when they used to sell them. It is too bad to hear that their customer service is not where it used to be.

Attachments:
    1. rod-breaks.jpg

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

It was either St Croix or Loomis who started it.

Well in that case then I guess I agree st croix rods suck jester (sarcasm)

Few years ago I sent 2 broken musky rods ($800ish value) to st croix with a hand written note saying what happened and my return address. No online warranty claim or phone call, just sent the rods in blind. Less than 2 weeks later a tube showed up with 2 brand new rods. Only cost to me was the $20ish to ship the broken rods.

CaptainMusky

I have 4 of those as well. And a few akylos. Along with a handful of other ones. The dreadnought is the best spinning reel I’ve used in a long long time

They have a sale on the Lykan right now for $65 so I picked up one.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I understand what TillrLife is trying to say. I have seen it happen. A guy casts a heavy jig and you hear it hit the rod as it flys out. The next cast it snaps at the spot where the jig hit the blank. He is pissed because his rod snapped for no reason. Well it snapped because it got damaged and as soon as enough stress was put back on that spot it gave. Blanks are just fibers and epoxy. The lighter the rod, the thinner the blank is and the easier it is to bruise it. Another issue is after you pass the 45 degree bend mark you start to add stress to the blank. When fighting a fish this is called high sticking. Swinging your rod into the air to lift a fish into the boat will do the same thing. One would put a lot less stress on the blank if you left the fish into the boat while keeping your rod handle horizontal. This way the rod doesn’t bend into the danger zone.

I always had good experiences with St. Croix rod and their blanks when they used to sell them. It is too bad to hear that their customer service is not where it used to be.

100% agree.

Hoisting a fish into the boat, is likely putting that rod well above the 45* zone. That puts a lot of stress in a particular part of the rod, which isn’t designed to bend to the extreme it’s at. Can it be done, 100s/1000s of times, yep. Take a piece of paper and fold it in the same spot 100 times, is it easier to tear the paper at the crease, or when the paper is brand new with no folds?

The only rod(s) that I know of that can handle that kind of stress are Ugly Sticks, or other whipping stick glass rods. But fiberglass by nature is much more forgiving than graphite and carbon fiber.

Some of the epoxy/glues that are being developed are really helping to lighten rods, while making them less susceptible to breaks, but they’re still not going to last forever. Even the way they use vacuum systems to drive the epoxy into the fibers of the rods are getting more technical.

Anyways, I guess my original question was answered.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.