Squirrel Dog

• skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

How about a little discussion about your experience with squirrel dogs. Breeds, your own experiences, benefits of your breed such as also hunts rabbits or pheasants. Tell us a story about an interesting hunt you have had. Post some pictures of you dog hunting. I love hunting squirrels but think it might be even more fun with a dog. Let’s hear some good stories.

Thanks…Ken

Sharon
    SE Metro

Although he never had any official training that I know of, my husband’s family dog Charlie loved to hunt squirrels with us. He wasn’t much of a duck dog, but he loved going after squirrels. He was a yellow lab. A stinky yellow lab. He always smelled like wet dog for some reason. He passed away in April 2009 and he was about 13 years old. He would ride alongside the four-wheelers with us at the deer shack and would spend countless hours roaming the woods. In his final years, he would actually ride with us on the golf cart because his body just couldn’t run like that anymore. I know I have a picture of him and I somewhere. I’ll have to look for it.

404 ERROR
    MN

This is a great topic I don’t I’ve ever read about on here. I have an almost 2 year old GSP that I plan to bring out for a squirrel hunt or two this fall. He does a great job pointing them for me and he’s incredibly sneaky when doing it. I figured it would be a good fit if I can keep him from running around aimlessly. I will be sure to report back with pictures of our success, or lack thereof once we get out next month!

He is a very good pheasant dog, and he has has minimal training. Like some pointers, they don’t always retrieve. It’s kind of up to him whether he will retrieve the bird but he lets me know where it is regardless. He will always run to the downed bird and drop his head right over it as he passes by. You need to keep your eye on him when he does it…it’s understanding the little quirks that strengthens the bond between you and your best friend! Some say it’s habits that need correcting, I say it’s him being his own unique self.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

The best squirrel dog I ever hunted with was a full size poodle. The owner would occasionally let us take the dog hunting as she was always worried something bad would happen to her dog when out with us? We were teenagers at this time. If that dog started jumping against a tree trunk there was a squirrel in that tree every time. It also was good on grouse. Brings back some good memories.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Here is a photo of Charlie. Billy’s mom must have the photo I’m thinking of. This was taken in Fall 2005 and (gasp) I don’t think I was “digital” then…

Attachments:
    1. Charlie-1.jpg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.