Spruce tree planting

• ranger777
    OtterTail Cty/Minnetrista

Hey guys-I have 500 white spruce trees coming at the end of the month. They are the 9′-16′ white spruce transplants from the dnr.

I’m hoping to create some screening areas and bedding/thermal cover in some areas.
    What would you recommend for spacing for screening?
    Spacing for bedding? I would assume they should be planted in random spacing and not in rows for bedding areas.
    How many should I plant for a bedding area in one location?

Sticker-What was your experience with the white spruce you planted. I believe you have similar deer numbers. I’ve heard that deer generally do not touch spruce trees, but I’ve heard other people say they will eat them.

Any input would greatly be appreciated!!

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Yep I planted white spruce last year. The screening I did 12′ spacing and then offset the next row. The bedding areas I planted 5-7 trees in a semi circle with the inside of the circle facing south or southeast. The spacing was just enough to get 2-3 deer bedded down together. I stacked 2 trees deep, again offset the rows. Hope that makes sense.

I had heard they would not browse them, but that wasn’t the case. The didn’t destroy them, but some of the branches and tops were nipped. I think they will be fine though. I got 100 more of them and 100 oaks coming end of next week. Fun times!!

deertracker

Where are you guys getting your trees?
    DT

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I have order from my county office the last 20 years, the prices are good and the trees have always been good quality.

This year I also ordered from here, have heard good things about these trees, but don’t have first hand experience yet. They are real close to you DT.

Trees

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Most counties have a tree sale every year. They buy in bulk through the state nursery.

Most counties I’ve seen start taking orders early in the year and trees tend to sell out fast. Most have minimum quantities. They have some interesting species available, but again you have to get your order in early.

My biggest problem with planting trees is that the planting is only about 10% of the work. The rest of the work comes in rigging up protection so the deer don’t eat them into the ground.

Grouse

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Hey guys-I have 500 white spruce trees coming at the end of the month. They are the 9′-16′ white spruce transplants from the dnr.

When I first read this, I wanted to know how you planned to plant 500 9-16 foot tall spruce shock

I realize you meant 9″-16″ now (those go in quickly). I hand transplanted 11 white spruce when we built our house for a windbreak, and due to not being able to get a spade to where they were going, had to hand dig the holes. These were about 12 footers, and it about killed me. I’ve had deer munch on smaller spruce I’ve planted, as well as smaller red and even small jack pine I’ve transplanted, mostly during extreme winters.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.