spring time flatheads?

• craig s

Hey guys,
    Does anybody get flatheads in the spring? I’ve never really chased them till summer when water temps are a bit warmer.I’ve gotten plenty of channels in colder water but never much luck with the big boys.anybody have luck and willing to share what locations to look for?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

If you are trying to follow the flathead bite and see who is catching fish and where you might want to follow the bite on http://www.kingofthecats.org/
    You can also follow the bite on the King of the Cats Facebook page.

This is usually the first thing I check every morning to see who put fish on the Leaderboard over night. First two flatheads for the season were just recorded Friday night.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Steve offers good advice.

I’ve spend too many late (cold) nights on the Mississippi and St Croix rivers this time of the year to get wound up chasing them yet. I know they will bite but they are still a little slow, don’t use as much energy and don’t need to feed as much.

The earliest I caught fish reliable is when the water temp reaches 65 degrees. I’m certainly not saying that they can’t be caught earlier, just that I haven’t found a reliable bite.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

The earliest I caught fish reliable is when the water temp reaches 65 degrees. I’m certainly not saying that they can’t be caught earlier, just that I haven’t found a reliable bite.

They don’t bite very well the third week in November, do they BK? whistling

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

No I have not had luck early in the spring…

Late fall… Have done great, only while s sturgeon fishing.

I’ll be using a lot more sturgeon tactics early for flatheads hoping that the fall trend also occurs in the spring… Since the fall bite is likely related to wintering hole preparations I bet the spring bite isn’t too far off from their fall transition.

Only time will tell.

Issue… I catch sturgeon doing this. And they’re out of season. So I’ve been trying that cut bait deep water method very sparingly last two weeks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ya know Andy, you made me think. I have never caught as sturg while targeting flats. Much different area for a consistent bite.

I have caught flats while targeting sturg of course.

In the 3rd week of November it would be easier to snag a flat then to actually hook one. shock

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’d need to look back in my records for last year, but I don’t think I caught any cats past mid November…. But to be fair, I had long left my flathead sturgeon spot for much much better sturgeon fishing spot which in no way shape or form resembled the kind of area that I was catching flats.

I plan to target them flats in the deep basin like area that is the lower Croix. I know they’re there… Will take entirely different tactics than most flathead fisherman use… Until you get south and they’re catching them in reservoirs.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Didn’t stop us from trying tho… )

Grizper

Hey guys,
    Does anybody get flatheads in the spring?

Short answer yes. They are in intermediate depths in close proximity to deeper holes. But I have chilled my bones many nights for few fish to tell you that you can reliably catch them right now. So if you are just looking to wet a line and try them then I will tell you that you can catch them. But don’t think that they are anywhere near as aggressive or in the same places as early summer/late spring.

craig s

My experience is about the same as these replies.channel cats on the other hand seem willing year round? I’ve kept a few over the years ice fishing the croix in the baypprt area!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Channel cats are the targeted species unless you are young and full of pee and vinegar. 15 years ago I wanted to be the first person to catch flats in the spring. Not so much anymore.

It is a hoot staying out till 5 am catching some dandy size channels every 20 minutes or so with a good friend and long as you’re dressed for it.

Armchair, since you’ve left there was a catfish workshop group formed by the DNR. Working with them, we now have a closed season on flatheads in all MN waters from December 1 to March 30th each year.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

You get your boat wet yet Brian?

You ought to put that arm chair in the boat )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Saturday is the New Spam Museum in Austin, then it’s time to get serious about channels.

The trip to the museum was pushed back a week due to the Favorite Daughter spending a few unexpected days in the hospital.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Oh, Armchair has been in my boat a few times. Mostly on warm sunny evenings though. )

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.