Spot Lock-Help Needed

• docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Have to 2nd all the grievances noted about the Minn Kota spotlock and autopilot functions on motors prior to the new stuff that just came out. Personally, I have an old Terrova and my spotlock and autopilot works flawlessly. THAT is the reason I insisted keeping my old Terrova when purchasing my MX. I have run many friends boats with “newer” Terrovas and I have to say “JUNK” all the way. Spotlock was worthless and while dragging jigs, well, the autopilot had us going across the river to the other side. I see Minn Kota seems to have addressed these features with the new motors, but not crazy about having to use an external GPS puck that is bluetoothed to the TM. I lose connection with my phone bluetooth and external speaker from time to time, wouldn’t want that to happen at a critical time with my TM, such as spotlocked close to a wingdam with flow, and I’m frogging around in the back of the boat not paying attention.

I got to fish with the new Motorguide Xi5 2 weeks ago on the river. All I can say is “WOW”! Anchorlock better than even my old spotlock and autopilot feature never deviated from the direction I pointed it. Jog mode- the bomb! But, couple things that would absolutely keep me from buying it. 1) Foot petal – I am not a cable steer guy, so the toe-heel doesn’t do it for me. Least have the left/right pedal tab option on it like the Terrova pedal. 2) NO SCREEN ON THE REMOTE! Deal breaker right there -could write a book on the necessity on that one. 3) How the motor side covers hang over the side of the boat- can’t be retracted on my Skeeter for loading/unloading and using my travel cover (if it can be retracted, I do not know about it). Fix those 3 things and I’d make the switch! Until then, I’ll keep fixing my old Terrova as necessary. mrgreen

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I haven’t used either but looking.

One item that will make a difference in user opinion is if the motor is being used on a lake or river with moving water.

I need to follow this thread closer…

Rick Janssen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>
    I’m getting an Xi5 as soon as they get a remote with a display.

as an xi5 owner I hope they never do this. If they do I will keep the one I have and move from boat to boat. The last thing I want is a clunky remote hanging around my neck. With the pinpoint gateway I can see everything I need to right on my hds units. Far easier than a small 2″ screen around my neck.

ME TOO – I love the small remote. Love the spot lock and auto control. I have found NO need for a screen on the reomote.

hnd

i own a 2nd generation ipilot on an older terrova. Its spotlock is about 95% perfect. It will drift at times and do some wonky stuff occasionally but generally, i’m very happy with its performance. doesn’t overcorrect at high speeds, etc.

i have a friend with a newer terrova with i pilot link and the spot lock is pretty much unusable. large swings, overcorrects at high speeds. its kind of crazy. i don’t get how they made it WORSE.

i also fished in a boat with an xi5 and its spot lock is pretty great. but the remote basically gives you no information and you have to tie it into your units to see the info you want.

a buddy is buying a new 2017 terrova with the improved spot lock. excited to get into that rig and test it out.

91reddog

Doc and hnd .

That is my exact opinion also. My Terrova 101 IPILOT was a great unit and actually spot locked! I tested it next to a bouy several times. I fell for the Link marketing a d upgraded to a Terrova 36v 112 . Big disappointment. I’ve kept waiting for a software upgrade to get me back to my Ipilot tolerances, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. I’m probably going to buy in to the new unit, but I’m not too happy about it. All they need to do is design a software quaalud to calm the stupid thing down.

I’d gladly give up follow the contour to have my old spot lock back. I’ve actually considered finding an old version and selling my Link system.

I’m firmly convinced that they can make these things as smart as they want to, or as dumb as they want to, so I’m very leary of any software update. If there’s not something in it that fixes something that bothers me, or adds something that I want. I’m not putting it in my machines.

91reddog

One item that will make a difference in user opinion is if the motor is being used on a lake or river with moving water.

My usage is in a reservoir situation and if they’re not running water, I’m not fishing.

RedRanger

Wow. I just bought an ulterra 24 v today for my 619 ranger….
    It is this years MinnKota….spot lock at high speed sounds worthless….wondering if i should keep my cable unit.

FryDog62

Wow. I just bought an ulterra 24 v today for my 619 ranger….
    It is this years MinnKota….spot lock at high speed sounds worthless….wondering if i should keep my cable unit.

if you haven’t used it yet, maybe consider swapping it for an Ultrex – best of both worlds..

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I thought I would bring this one back to the top and look forward to hearing from the guys who have a 2017 Ulterra, will be interesting to see if any of the bugs have been fixed.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I got the new Ulterra I-link. 112lb 72″. Talk about sticker shock. Cost more than my kicker. I haven’t used it yet. I can’t deploy it on the trailer. There are somethings that are encouraging. There is a separate heading sensor/compass. I was advised to attach it temporally until I can test its location. The compass can be affected by magnetic fields. It needs a 12v power supply. I plan to test its location with all my equipment running before I final mount it. Also what hasn’t been mentioned much and I suggested in a past post in this thread was the need for a boat scaling feature. Alas, the software has one! A 0 base setting with a plus 1 & 2 and a minus 1 & 2. That way if it is a bit over responsive or under responsive you can tweak the algorithm. Reports from someone that tested one, last summer, it is the best system out there now.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

It taint the motor, tis the method. I will unpack that statement. I have had both MK and XI5 the last few years and it seems to me that understanding the limitation of the device should drive the usage.

In a lake, I go upwind and let the boat drift downwind until I see a fish mark on the sonar THEN I engage the anchor. No chance to overshoot. It just engages and holds. Works best for me.

Stiff and constant wind is best for me. Them trollers hate variable winds. Yeah, I said it…I like em stiff.

Trolling along on a trail works nice too when dragging sticks or spoons in addition to the main kicker providing the bulk of the power. Honestly, I don’t like trying to electronic anchor in gusty winds or calm winds. Recipe for FUBAR.

Work with the strengths of the device and adjust your tactics.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

sell it and buy a good anchor! lol no confusion plus you get free jigs lol I picked up 5 jigs sunday some people swear on them but it is difficult to keep them in a exact spot from what the current does

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The scratcher is on it! The jog feature consists of letting more anchor line out! woot

So, the “bad” spot lock units are the 2013-2016 terrova w/link and all non-current ulterra? Are any Link units better than others? It sounds like the vast majority consider spot lock on these a complete downgrade from the earlier motors.

I have the gen 1 purchased as a head-only. It has the remote that always works; except the internal plastic button transfer piece is prone to break (gone through 2 white version, the new black one has held up longer). I have a newer remote that works ok. It has a shorter range and it periodically goes stupid. Typically, opening and resetting the battery fixes it. The spot lock on mine works OK and I consider the system reliable. It has never over thrust, but does overshoot when lacking current or steady wind. I’ve fished side x side next to a MotorGuide, and the anchor lock performance isn’t even close between those.

Has anyone within warranty gotten a new 2017 version as a replacement for a defective unit yet? IMO, that has got to be an option for folks under warranty considering the over thrusting sounds dangerous and possibly should be recalled. It sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. If anyone has suffered a fall, possible neck or spinal injury, I highly suggest calling 1-800-ASK-GARY. He’ll find you a lawyer. jester Or, how about a class action?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I think when I am ready to buy one I will buy it from Cabela’s as they have a great return policy. The new Cabela’s flyer came in the mail today and they have the MinnKota Ulterra 80 US2 I-Pilot on sale for $1799.99, $250 off.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

I think when I am ready to buy one I will buy it from Cabela’s as they have a great return policy. The new Cabela’s flyer came in the mail today and they have the MinnKota Ulterra 80 US2 I-Pilot on sale for $1799.99, $250 off.

I see no mention of Bluetooth in their description. I think that is the 2016 model. same old spot lock as others. Only the 2017 model has the improved spot lock with a Bluetooth compass

huskerdu

I have no real complaints about my I pilot, it’s a lot better than standing on the foot pedal of the old cable drives all day.

RedRanger

I am getting one installed from a dealer next week.I also talked to Minnkota and the changes were made last year. The product will be labeled BT after the model signifying Blue tooth.The serial numbers starting w Q,R are the newest. There is a hockey puck sized disk that is part of the external compass and is powered by 115v….This must be mounted as far from the unit as possible.
    My dealer reports he has not had many complaints and I will be getting the latest unit.I am sure he will take care of me…

Its great to have access to many peoples experience on products like this.
    I appreciate the posts…..good and bad
    Thanks IDO members!

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I am getting one installed from a dealer next week.I also talked to Minnkota and the changes were made last year. The product will be labeled BT after the model signifying Blue tooth.The serial numbers starting w Q,R are the newest. There is a hockey puck sized disk that is part of the external compass and is powered by 115v….This must be mounted as far from the unit as possible.
    My dealer reports he has not had many complaints and I will be getting the latest unit.I am sure he will take care of me…

The required power is 12v dc not 115v. I didn’t read anything about the Bluetooth compass needing to be far away as possible. It has to be at least 2 feet from a magnetic source. Basicly Compass 101.

RedRanger

I stand corrected….its 12 v on the compass
    My dealer said the farther u can mount the compass from the head, the better.

Viewing 21 posts - 61 through 81 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.