Spot Lock in no wind – hack?

• royalfish

Hi All,

Background info to start:

– Warrior V177 tiller
    – New Terrova 80 LB with heading sensor
    – Minnkota Vantage on stern

A few times this spring I have been in situations where there is NO wind, not a ripple. I have been spot locked and we all know that spot lock doesn’t like no wind situations. The spot lock seems to twist all over and eventually will drift off the spot by a considerable distance it seems like.

My question is whether or not anyone has employed a stern mounted trolling motor to act as the ‘wind/current’ that the spot lock so desires? To me it seems as though I could use the Vantage to pull the boat backward ever so slightly and the Terrova would then hold the spot just like it would in a slight breeze. It should be very consistent and I would imagine it would hold perfectly, probably better than in a gusty wind.

I will give it a shot one day when I run into that scenario again, but wanted to know if anyone has done it and how it worked.

Also, I don’t believe there should be any issue with running both TMs off the same 24v setup at the same time. Anyone have information to the contrary?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Just battery drain that I would see. In no wind I use ye ole anchor, believe it or not they still work!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Also, I don’t believe there should be any issue with running both TMs off the same 24v setup at the same time. Anyone have information to the contrary?

I do this all the time. Terrova up front and a Minnkota EM on the back. (80# 24volt on both)

I have not had the no wind issue. (Fishing mostly Mille Lacs) But, yes, I think putting the transom mount in reverse would help the Terrova spot lock.

-J.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If there’s no wind, then theoretically you don’t need a means of staying in place because the current conditions won’t move you off that spot. Unless of course there are wakes from other boats or current (river).

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

If there truly is NO wind…zero…zilch…then you shouldn’t be moving other than wakes from other boats. If that is the case, just bump yourself back to your location with the bow mount on the off chance that you drift. Otherwise it just seems like you are WAY over thinking the situation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.