Spirit 1/22-1/23 report

• chomps
    Sioux City IA

sure was a cold one this past weekend. There were a slug of people hitting the hard water on Spirit in search of some bounty. The stories of good numbers of perch and a few fair walleye catches were driving me nuts. With the offer to stay at my buddies parent’s summer home I jumped at the invite. A total of 4 of us were on the ice Sat. AM about 9, we went out of the west side and avoided the crowds set up in about 20 fow. There were just enough red lines showing up on the vex’s to keep us interested and even a few made it up through the hole. You could tell the fish were negative and just wanted to window shop. It was tough to hole hop, and only a few holes held fish. We kept and cleaned 13 the first day.

Sunday AM we went to the east side and fished 15 FOW, right away the red lines were showing up and some were hanging around and even taking a swipe. One in our group had a hot hole and iced 6 nice perch in no time flat. I had a whole assortment of lures and baits in my jigg’n hole and a plain red hook and minnow with the foam slip bobber in the other hole, almost every time the fish would come up to the jig have no interest then plop the bobber rod gets smacked. Then it was onezies twozies here and there, packed up at 1:30 to head back to the house to watch the Pack and a few we cleaned 26 during half time, so each was able to bring home a nice batch of fish for the hot oil bath. Sure is nice to see some good sized fish, we kept nothing under 9 inches and it has been several years to get to this stage. Judging by the traffic, there is a bunch of pressure now and all of last fall, hope the lake can keep it going.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Nice fish Chomps

owen nelson
    Iowa

Can I get on with my truck or do I need to bring my ATV. the ice buckel was big last time.

shaley
    Milford IA

The end has to be close for the perch, it’s going on year 4 now. I know the lakes full of perchand in a couple years you’ll hear complaints of no perch but thats how it goes. I hope it’s near the end so the eyes and muskie fishing pick up.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

The only spot I saw where the buckle along the shoreline prevented access was Marble Beach. Shaley i know what you are saying, all lakes cycle and as is looks next years batch of brutes will be maxing out at the 12-13 inch size, that is worth a trip for just about anyone and the lake will get pounded even more. I have heard of gross over harvest and it just makes me ask, why do you need all of those fish? We no doubt will make the trip one or two more times, just keep enough for a meal and the fillets won’t even make the freezer.

shaley
    Milford IA

I know guys that have kept 3-4 limits a week all season. I wont lie I’m close to my possession limit but winters the only time I keep fish so I stock up when I can, gills may be on the menue for awhile.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I know my own set of guys and they started keeping a limit every time out starting in Sept It seems too much of a good thing is too much! The perch are still going just come through in waves and you can pick off 2-3 every 45 minutes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.