Spirit Lake night wader bite.

• ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Although I have not been fishing Spirit at night I’ve heard some very good reports from others.Wader anglers have been getting some nice fish around sundown.They are casting crankbaits to get their fish.Have heard reports of fish in the 8-9# range and alot of fish in the 16-20″ range.Some nights are very good and others a little slower.
    Ryan Hale

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Ryan, If a guy were to get sick and have to take a day off work, were do you think would be a good place to do some shore fishing on Spirit or ‘Boji. I don’t have waders. I’m planning to winterize the boat but if the weather stays nice I might have to get away for a day and take a little drive. Since we have always fished from a boat, I have no idea where to go for some shore fishing. Any ideas?

Thanks! And thanks for keeping us all posted with your reports! Nice work!

Wade

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Hi Wade!

Here is a list of some places to hit on Spirit Lake.

1)The old foot bridge which is on the North part of the lake by the grade area.It is where the grade meets the main lake and there is a good current area to fish.Fish it early and late in the year.

2)Buffalo Run area which is on the West side of the lake-a little north of the campgrounds at Marble Beach.

3)Marble Beach area has a huge area of rock and sand that can be very good spring and fall.As always these areas are best at low light times.

4)Templar Park are by the boat ramp can be good for early season panfish.

East Okoboji.

1)The top end of East where Spirit runs into it.It is right behind the Spirit Lake Hatchery.It there is water running into East it can very good.Top notch white bass fishing in the spring.

2)Between East and Upper Gar at the bridge.

3)Bridge between Upper Gar and Lake Minnewasta and bridge between Lake Minnewasta and Lower Gar.Wade these are current areas and can be good at different times of the year.

West Okoboji.

1)The bridge between West and East and the old railroad tressel can be good year round.From panfish to walleyes are at ot around these areas year round.It gets alot of fishing pressure.

2)The canals can be very good early in the year for panfish and bass.

3)Gull Point area.You can walk all the way out to the point Wade.Try casting cranks and plastics for smallmouth.

4)North end of the lake there is a small canal system that can be good for spring panfish.It is by the Triboji boat ramp.

Best of luck Wade and I hope to see you bird hunting and ice fishing a few times this winter.

Ryan Hale

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Ryan, Awesome post! Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge here! And I too hope to get out for some hunting and ice fishing. Been really busy around here but I will make it for a time or two.

Thanks again!

Wade

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.