Spirit Lake – Decent Pike

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Austin Hale and I got this Pike while doing some walleye fishing on Spirit Tuesday. I’m not a huge fan of the slimy critters but as long as they’ve got some fight to ’em I enjoy it. This one gave us a nice show on light line. She had incredible girth; a very healthy fish. We got about 50 eyes between us, mostly little guys but all looked very healthy as well. We managed several keepers on the day. The fishery is still looking good!

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Beautiful looking northern – nice colors on her

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Great pic Wade,Austin and you had a great day on the water.
    Ryan Hale

gsmith
    Mondamin, Iowa

Wade:

Glad to see the picture, nice looking pike. I also wanted to let you know that I enjoyed working with you on Monday. Hope to have some results soon.

Have a great day.

Gary

goody
    Iowa (Des Moines area)

Great fish Wade….a lot of folks hate the snakes, but I really to have fun with them….they put up a great little tussle

goody

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Gary, I enjoyed it as well. I hope the footage turns out well. We’ll see ya on Spirit again!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Goody, I don’t mind the pike so much, at least not if they’ve got a little size to ’em. This guy was a fun one!

When are you making your Spirit Lake trip this year?

goody
    Iowa (Des Moines area)

Probably the first or second weekend of June…will know by next week. Really looking forward to it since I havent been able to even get out camping yet this year!!!

goody

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Let me know when you’re going to Spirit. I’ll try to make it up there at that time. June fishing should be awesome!

wishn2bfishn
    Kansas City, MO

I saw your post. Nice fish! I’m planing a trip to Spirit and West Okojobi for a few days in July. I want to fish for smallies and the info I have so far is that those lakes have a good rep for smallies. I have never been to the area. I live in Kansas City and have fished for smallies in Table Rock Lake in MO several times. Any info you could provide would be helpful. Thanks.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

wishn2bfishn, The smallies on Spirit and West Okoboji really relate to the rocky stucture on the lake (no surprise there right). Get yourself a good map of the lake or a GPS map like the Navionics Premium North and look for the rocky points. Typical smallie baits should work well. I would also consider giving Ryan Hale a call. Ryan knows the lakes better than anyone I know and he has very reasonable prices. Hire Ryan for a day and have him show you the ropes on Spirit and ‘Boji and you should have a great trip. Ryan’s info is at http://www.ryanhale.jollyannsales.com . Goto his site and you’ll see a nice 21-inch smallie his son got on West Okoboji. I happen to be in the boat that day. Man was that fun! Enjoy your trip!

wishn2bfishn
    Kansas City, MO

Many thanks. I will try to make contact soon.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.