Spinner rigs for Mille Lacs

• joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I am sure this has been covered before but when you’re using BB’s and spinners on the pond, how long of a snell do you use typically? Comfortable using store bought versions/lengths?

Also, favorite colors of blades?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

It varies but yes store bought should be fine. I typically get away with a shorter length than when I am straight up Lindy rigging

Having said that, I probably use a 4-5 ft spinner rig when using a bottom bouncer and I typically like some version of silver. If you use the little clips you can change out blades and size on the fly…

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I think anything longer than 4ft will work most days.
    I tie mine 8ft long. I use long rods so the length isn’t an issue for me. I like the stealth factor of a longer rig in clearer water and I like having enough length to re-tie a couple times.

Some days I’ve gone as long as 12ft with 3 way rigs. The theory is it gets more bites if fish are more suspended higher off bottom.

Ripjiggen

Crawler harness 8-12ft depending how long my arms are that day…

brewerybuilder

I never cared for the store ones. I like mixing and matching my own colors. I don’t fish Mille Lacs much anymore as we sold our cabin about 4 years ago. But I will tell you, the best color producer I ever had was bright pink blade with chartreuse beads. When I couldn’t get them to hit anything else they would almost always hit the pink and chartreuse. Gold beads with hammered gold blade was second, but couldn’t come close to old pinky. Had I just bought premade ones I would have never come across this color combo.

By the way the wife picked out the color. I was making up a bunch one day on the deck while having a beer. She comes up and says “You should make one with that blade and those beads, that would be pretty”. I tried it…and glad I did!

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

After many years of Bottom Bouncing the Dakota’s and Canadian shield lakes you need enough weight to be at 45 degree angle for the speed you are going. Most people are to light if your are trolling 1.1 to 1.5 mph 20 ft and under 2 oz. 20 to 35 3 oz. I wont fish over 35. Also if your snells are over 30 inches the blades and hook start to drag on bottom. That is why you are picking up leafy debris etc on the flats or snagging in the rocks on reef’s. Also floaters and stuff add color but have no effect on floating the hook. Go into 5 ft of crystal clear water have someone else drive and test your leader lengths . You will see longer the leader the closer the hook to bottom. You may get by with longer leader on a 3 way due to if you fish them properly like the old time guides you never drag the weight on bottom you let it touch every once in a while to stay close to bottom but the swivel is 3ft off bottom. Best thing is to go shallow and observe.

Mwal

Matt L
    Twin Cities

I use to run 6 footers then moved to 12 for ML only. I rig them with 12lb flouro. Ran the 6 and 12 for multiple trips with the exact same spinner side by side. Only run 12 footers now as there is a significant bite ratio.

BDR

I use small snap swivel to the rig. Above that I use rubber bobber stop and bell sinker. I can adjust bobber stop to have snells of all different lenghts. If real long i can keep reeling, bell will slide bobberstop down to swivel. Makes landing fish much easier than with 12 foot snell.

Greg Perz

I run a 5’ harness with the white clip clevises and follow the same bouncer weights as mwal. My preferred blade paint colors change based on the year/week/day most of them are painted by Warrior Lures. I haven’t done a ton of experimenting with size and blade color but I prefer a #4 copper.

Here is a pic of my blade box.

Attachments:
    1. E2AFA5FB-B741-4B8E-B8F0-E3980319FC76.jpeg

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Those fish are so hungry a 1′ leader would work. Seriously though anything between 2′ -4′ is sufficient. You truly do not need anything over 4′ on mille lacs all that does is make you look silly when you’re trying to net a fish

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Those fish are so hungry a 1′ leader would work.

I have no doubt that those employing long leaders may have better success.

But I don’t know, sometimes I’ve been lazy and have tied braid directly to a snap swivel with a jigging spoon ice fishing and sent that down the hole decorated with a minnow head.

A number of walleyes either didn’t notice the line or didn’t care. When they’re focused on the prize, they’ll just hammer it.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I dont normally run bottom bouncers on mille but for those that do or have, do think there is any spooking going on considering it will be closer to under the boat plus the clear water? Curious if anyone tried that compared to long lining rigs instead and found a big difference. I suppose there is many factors that go into it and could change day to day, hour to hour

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I dont normally run bottom bouncers on mille but for those that do or have, do think there is any spooking going on considering it will be closer to under the boat plus the clear water? Curious if anyone tried that compared to long lining rigs instead and found a big difference. I suppose there is many factors that go into it and could change day to day, hour to hour

I don’t know for certain but I believe even with the clear water if you’re drifting over 20-30′, the walleye’s wouldn’t even notice the silhouette of your boat overhead.

I don’t think their vision is that trained to discriminate a threat from that distance above them. And on cloudy days I would imagine less of a visible profile. Wave action will also diminish the underwater visual of your boat.

I’m sure there are others that may have a different opinion but I’ve had success just dropping a baited jig over the side even in water less than 10′ at times.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Yea I guess they still bite jig fishing when boats are right over the top of them. Even bobber fishing, boats are somwewhat over the top of them and doesnt seem to bother the fish.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Like to be moving/driftng usually but if I can sit on top of them will do so.

Ripjiggen

I meant spooking of the fish. Bobber fishing and jig fishing you are moving slower or not moving at all. That’s all.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

10 4, Ripjiggen, missed read that one. Anyway, I think I might be out there this saturday with my girls. Most likely pull some lead and throw some bobbers around.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.