MN Giant bass

• tennispro
    Sterling, IL

My brother inlaw caught this largmouth in Northern MN Friday. I am not sure of all the details right now. But I was told it weighed over 8 pounds. That is a gaint for that part of the world.
    For size help, my brother inlaw is over 200 pounds

Sorry for the crapy cell phone picture

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Wow, I didn’t even think that was possible up here. Everything I’ve ever read said that since the growing season is so short up here and black bass everywhere have the same life expectancy, it’s impossible for a bass in MN to reach sizes like that, especially in Northern MN.

Cool stuff.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Boy that thing looks every bit of 8#s.

I’ve seen big bass come out of waters as far north as Grand Rapids. Some lakes up north are relatively untouched and have habitat and ecology conducive to producing big largemouths. Just don’t expect a lot of pictures or info online about it.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

Quote:

Boy that thing looks every bit of 8#s.

I’ve seen big bass come out of waters as far north as Grand Rapids. Some lakes up north are relatively untouched and have habitat and ecology conducive to producing big largemouths. Just don’t expect a lot of pictures or info online about it.

i’ll be fishing one of said lakes this coming weekend…

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

It is possible with good forage, genetics and old age… That one looks like a solid 8 lber….This picture is the only one I have of a 7.44 lber that won “Big Fish” at the 2008 U.P Bass Championship…(in the weigh bag)

I caught/released an 8.03 lb Lg Mouth back in 1971 here. The U.P. Mich Smallie record is 9.02 lbs. There are photos in Ashland, WI (Anglers Art Tackle Shop) of C/R Chequamegon Bay Smallies pushing 10 lbs!!!!

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

10 LBS for a SMALLIE.???!!!!!

Might need a fighting chair

Dog

kdb

Quote:

Wow, I didn’t even think that was possible up here. Everything I’ve ever read said that since the growing season is so short up here and black bass everywhere have the same life expectancy, it’s impossible for a bass in MN to reach sizes like that, especially in Northern MN.

Cool stuff.

first of all…Wow! that’s a fish!

on the issue of life expectancy…I’ve seen articles that suggest 10-15 years is not out of the question for northern strain bass… while 6-8 is pretty common for the floridensis bunch…and fish down south in the bathtubs of North America…

It takes a special fish, no matter where they reside, to grow to record proportions…

and that fish is a special one…

tennispro
    Sterling, IL

I can tell you that this bass came farther north than Grand Rapids. It is the 2nd on that I have seen that far north go well over 7 pounds. You are right about the bass fishing pressure that far north.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t doubt that. My nephew lived in ely and had a lake they would portage into for lm bass. They caught hundereds in one day and most were in the 3-4 pound range. Nothing remotely close to a 7 pounder, but no signs of stunted fish either, even though their was obviously a huge population.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Wow, learn something new every day!

Good info, thanks guys.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Wow, learn something new every day!

Good info, thanks guys.

Shhh! Just don’t let the secret out.

I imagine if there was as much pressure up north, you might see the state record actually coming from up there. If not, at least the chances of it would be darn close to even as the southern part of the state breaking the record.

One last thought, the northern bass I have caught seem to be prettier. Bright greens and white bellies. I guesss because the water is cleaner. Here’s a good example. Nevermind my attire. I was bass fishing in the middle of October.

Back on topic with the OP, is that the only picture? Too bad if it is, because not only is she big, but she has those great northern colors, pattern and white washed belly.

tennispro
    Sterling, IL

That is the only picture that I know of. He does not get back till friday afternoon sometime.

You are right about the colors. I would love it if all my bass looked that way

kdb

Quote:

You are right about the colors. I would love it if all my bass looked that way

clear water and heavy weeds….make for some beautiful bass…that’s for sure…

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

He’s got himself a real beauty there

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I know of a couple right at 8# caught in the northern third of MN. I got a 7-2 in my avatar photo, never thought I would ever get one that big…but hope I do again some time…

Congrats on the monster bass!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I am going to ask the admins to close this thread down. We need to keep the northern 1/3 to ourselves.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.