Hook set 101 WATCH

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That right there would make a good avatar.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Quite a bit of load on the rod prior to the hookset not sure if that was a weed initially, if it was the fish most bass would have spit that nasty jig out before you pulled the trigger. Nice largie, gets me excited for some weekend fishing. Reminds me to shoot some video, was going to do that this summer. Thanks for sharing!

bear schutts
    Menomonie, Wisconsin

Nice fish and great hookset.

dylan-gravenhof
    Worthington, MN

that hook set is nothing compared to my uncle.. he jumps and rocks the whole boat when he sets the hook!!

kdb

Quote:

that hook set is nothing compared to my uncle.. he jumps and rocks the whole boat when he sets the hook!!

actually, I think the hookset was just about textbook…and the way I would choose to do it…I hate fishing with guys who set the hook with so much slack in the line you hear the rod ‘whistle’ through the air.

If that’s your normal technique, I bet you stick and land the vast majority of fish that hit.

Nice job.

dylan-gravenhof
    Worthington, MN

Quote:

Quote:

actually, I think the hookset was just about textbook…and the way I would choose to do it…I hate fishing with guys who set the hook with so much slack in the line you hear the rod ‘whistle’ through the air.

If that’s your normal technique, I bet you stick and land the vast majority of fish that hit.

Nice job.

dont get ur panties in a bunch! .. he never has slack line he just sets the hook like that.. most the time he jerks the little ones practically out of the water

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Reel him in Brad

kdb

Quote:

dont get ur panties in a bunch! .. he never has slack line he just sets the hook like that.. most the time he jerks the little ones practically out of the water

actually, hows about I change my statement to: I like to fish against folks who use hooksets ‘like that’ especially when I’m in a tourney…

walleyejoe
    Litchfield, MN

does the last comment mean that I am doing some thing wrong??

dylan-gravenhof
    Worthington, MN

Quote:

does the last comment mean that I am doing some thing wrong??

no.. its nothing about you!

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

I like to see the bass – on top – after a hook set that could possibly break the reel seat. Once the fish has its eye’s crossed, you can easily swing it into the boat.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.