A few swim jig colors to share

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve been making my own jigs for a long time and always playing with different color combinations to “match the hatch” so to speak. Most guys I have fished with mostly throw a swim jig and rip it back to the boat. I’ve been working on hook / weed guard, and eye angle for a more all around jig. Surprisingly, I get more hits with a quick retrieve, pause/fall, and repeat.

Here’s a few that have done great for me

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I dont fish for “green or brown fish” but as a jig maker myself those great looking swim jigs.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

do you sell them?

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

WHAT ARE YOU DOING RANDY? are you giving away the store here? are you telling every one about these excellent jigs? HOW DARE YOU..

these jigs only catch fish.. that’s all they do.. and Randy shouldn’t be telling everyone about them..

they only are VERY VERY GOOD.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

randy and I only fished a half day together on Pool 7.. 5 am to 5 pm.. that’s a half a day..

and trust me he caught some very nice fish on those jigs. it wasn’t a record breaking day.. but after the severe cold front, they proved to be a winner later in the day..

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

Those “snot bug’s” look awesome, any chance of sending me a few this way. You definitely have a handle on some sweet looking jigs. Dan

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

I’ll take a couple of the dark brown/green. I use swim jigs in thick weeds all the time, it gets through them better.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Thanks for the offers on buying a few. I’m into making my own custom lure, and just wanted to share a few color schemes that have been working great for me. Not looking to make a production run on them.

As for fishing the half-day with old rat he wore out at 12 hours…..I went back out for another 6.5 hours after that

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

yeah I guess that I am a weak twit after calling it at day at only 12 hours. Randy failed to mention that we didn’t eat because we locked through and didn’t want to leave the boat alone.. ROFLMAO..

yeah I am the weak one.. gees I am sorry.. I will try to do better next time..

seriously.. Randy’s jigs are really, really nice.. and Randy is as top notch of a guy to fish with as well. and lets just say that he has a certain HUNGER to succeed.

I haven’t see that in a guy since I was about 25.. and then I was the guy jumping and running at a million miles an hour inside the boat..

and if you ever get a chance to fish with him.. it will rub off on you.. HE WILL MAKE YOU A BETTER FISHERMAN, just from desire alone..

that’s a simple truth..

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Thanks for the kind words….I think

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Nice looking jigs Randy. I fish a swim jig made by Outkast tackle and have had a ton of luck on them. They have some really different color combo’s as well. I have a ? for you on trailers for swim jigs. What type and colors do you use on yours.? Do you try to match the colors or contrast them with the trailer. I’ve always matched one of the skirt colors but I see others who will put on a trailer that contrast with the skirt colors.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

Randy you are as top notch of a guy as I have ever met in over 30 years in the tackle industry..

and that, my friend, is the simple truth.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Trailers are always a tricky question. I think I am much more flexible than most when it comes to color & type selection. I use from 3″ to 6″ curl tail grubs, paddle tails, finesse worms, mullets…..
    Time of year, cover, water clarity, sunshine or cloudy, fish’s attitude, reaction strike Vs general feeding..all influence what I use. I like the dark or light method for searching. If I get bit a few times on white, and not on a dark color, I go with a white or pearl jig color and change the trailer until I’m confident that i am getting the most aggressive strikes possible for those conditions. Same is true for the dark jigs. Sometimes a muted color scheme gets bit better, sometimes a dark jig with a high contrast trailer.

brems

Sweet looking jigs!

It looks like the hook is a wider gap than most that I have seen…..
    What type of hook do you use? Do you pour your own heads, or order them?

duckilr
    Mississippi River

I was wondering about the hook myself. Looks nice!

dylan-gravenhof
    Worthington, MN

i usually fish with white swim jigs

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

This batch is made with a Gamakatsu EWG hook. The EWG’s are great, but require a stiffer weed guard. Very sticky hooks and the do catch a few logs

bear schutts
    Menomonie, Wisconsin

Nice looking jigs Randy. Really like the colors.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.