Gulp…worth it?

• protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I saw an ad in this months Bassmaster about Gulp Alive They say it out fishes live bait and i was just wondering if any bass fishermen actually use this stuff? I never have but that’s MO. Thanks

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

The Alive leaches make great drot shot or split shot baits

WAT
    AUSTIN MN Cass Lake

You bet, I use it for bass,and walleys.

bigefish
    Rock Falls, WI.

Worth the price
    It’s like cheating

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

For me the verdict is still out. The leechs that were mentioned might be the exception..they are just scarey on a bobber, super light jig head or a drop shot cause they are as close to the real thing as I have ever seen from anyone so I would probably use them at times with or without the scent.

Any one that has fished with me much knows that some days I go through a full can of bang or a mini bottle of spikeit and on others use nothing so I certainly am gonna keep trying them since they already are doctored. I have never completely been sold on Berkleys regular scented plastics either. Some days they seem to actually fish worse than a plain one and almost always no better than a bang sprayed plastic. But I always keep trying them knowing someday they may be my favorite.

A person who just plain loves catching fish certainly will keep up on them to make sure all of a sudden they don’t get to be the hot ticket. Because I seldom fish the same thing more tha two days in a row and might not be back to it for weeks storage and breakdown is still an issue with me.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

it’s worth it.

side note- it’s nothing like spraying bang or any other scent on your plastics.

willie boy
    Cornhusker Central ... HELP!

Gulp hasn’t worked that well for me. Not sure why, I know lots of folks who swear by it. But for me, I don’t see it improving my catch ratios over zoom, culprit, Strike King and Yamamoto plastic products.

I do know that they guys in my club that toss gulp also get a lot of catfish bites…

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Thanks D-nort that will encourage Brian and I to spend more time trying them

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Cool. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that these baits are very situation specific. If your are fishing for a reaction bite you will probably notice no increased bites. If the fish are sniffing…they’re gold…

fishwrench
    Shakopee, MN

Two trips to Canada with two entirely different results. In 2006 Gulp wasn’t pulling in as many walleyes as the minnows other guys were using, but the size of the catch was way up over live bait. Where others were catching a bunch of 10-12″ fish, Gulp consistently was bringing in slots.

In 2007 we couldn’t even beg fish to hit on Gulp…they just wanted the live stuff. I even tried putting cash on the end of my hook along with the Gulp – a little bribery can go a long way. But not last year; the fish wanted nothing to do it.

So, I’m not entirely sold. Frankly, if it doesn’t say Yum or Zoom on the package, I’m probably not going to buy it until someone shows me that Gulp is the hands-down answer.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Gulp sinking minnows wacky rigged have out-produced other days at times. Fish are goofy. They can’t make up their mind, so you have to have everything ready to throw at ’em. I’m going to have to give drop-shotting the leeches a try this spring. I would think that would work well!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

what about in tournaments?? can you use them?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

what about in tournaments?? can you use them?

I don’t see why not. They’re not live bait. Close, but not really….

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Yes you can use them in tournaments. Lake Erie TBF was won on Gulp and a lot of people were using them drop shotting.

Bassn Dan

If you are fishing VERY slowly, the extra scent will be helpful but otherwise it’s probably not much of a factor.

Dan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.