Flippin rod/reel

• FryDog62

I may be in the market for a set up to flip primarily jigs into brush/timber. Curious what people have that they really like in terms of:

-Rod (length, action, etc)
    -Reel (gear ratio, flippin switch or not, etc)
    -Line (fluorocarbon, braid, pound test, etc)
    -Jigs, plastics, etc..
    -Any good sales out there?

If there are particular brands you like (or don’t like) or any other details, I’m interested in feedback. Thanks, -Fry

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

you may get a ton of opinions here…but after a few years going down to the TVA impoundments; Pickwick, Wilson, Wheeler and fishing w other Pros I have honed in…
    7’4″ Hvy action (with some tip flex for flipping)
    Flippin Switch Energy PT reel
    30# Seaguar Tatsu Fluoro line
    Creature baits (sweet beavers etc) on a flipping jig

Tried all the options and this rig works the best for me.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

My favorite set up is:
    7′ Quantum Smoke Med/Hvy /fast tip
    Quantum Energy (newer model with flipp’n switch
    Braid when applicable
    Ultra-steel or tungsten Bullet weights/Gamakatsu EWG worm – 5/0
    Culprit #220 Okeechobee

keppenhiemer
    (507) MN

I prefer a longer pitching/flipping rod I use a 7’6″ med/hvy legend tournament with 30lb braid usually suffix 832 or power pro for 3/4 oz or smaller. I use an 8′ lamaglass med/hvy with 65lb braid and a powerful 5.1 gear ratio reel on usually flipping 1 oz tungsten in the really thick knurly stuff. when flipping stronger tackle is usualy better.

BBKK
    IA

7-7’6 MH-H depending on model. Right now I like my veritas 7′ MH (it has the action of a Heavy)

7:1:1 reel (preferably a solid metal frame)

30# 832 braid

3/8 or 1/2 strike king pro model jig with a rage craw.

FryDog62

Thanks Tom and Randy, I ordered up the Quantum Energy PT with Flippin’ Switch today. Going to try it out on an existing 7 foot MH rod I already have and see how it goes… Maybe upgrade rod later.

Just got a cortisone shot in my right wrist to hopefully last me til November and under the knife to fix more permanently. Looking forward to flippin w/o pain for awhile although it will be switching to left handed. Just good to be back on the water..

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Flippin switches are nice, but I can’t seem to find a reel with one that I don’t completely destroy. As far as a rod goes, I think 7′ might be a touch short, but should get the job done until you get something a little longer and stronger. 7’6″ is pretty much the standard size, but I go anywhere from 7’3″ to 7’11” depending on what I’m fishing. Tighter quarters=shorter rod. As far as line goes, you can’t deny the great feeling of a hard bite with braid, but I’ve been relying more and more on fluorocarbon. On a heavily pressured lake, I definitely think you get more bites with fluoro and about the only time I use braid is if I am punching through a milfoil mat or flipping in brush. Even then, if it’s not too thick I’ll try fluoro first. Plastics 99% of the time.

FryDog62

Phish, what size/brand of fluorocarbon you using to flip into logs/brush?

phishirman
    Madison, WI

17-20lb. Berkley Trilene 100% fluorocarbon. That stuff is as tough as nails and the stiffness of it lends itself well to a presentation such as flipping. You may not want to listen to me though since I buck the trend when it comes to line as I seem to be the only person on the face of the earth that HATES Power Pro. and I also really like Nanofil (for certain applications)

iceman35
    upstate New York

hey fry dog… pitchin flippin rods… amazing amount of rods out there. I couldn’t even start with any brands… I’ll throw in a few though…
    TFO… real nice lightweight rod… I have a 7-11 x hvy and really nice for everything… hard to put down… price good.
    Raphsody… rod builder here in ny… I have 2 of the hot rod series and they feel like rods that cost twice as much… Website worth a look…
    All Star… I have 2 very old all star flippin rods… still my favorite… very old school…
    alot of lightweight one piece rods out there… nice to fish with, a pain to store and travel with… I go telescopic if I can…
    I like old fashioned mono… 17-25#…
    triple fish flouro good…
    braid at times…
    Owner twistlock hooks good…
    3/8-3/4 tg sinker…
    Start with a black tube… might not need anything else…

FryDog62

Thanks Ice… yes, I hear ya about the mono. I tried out some 17 pound Sonic Sniper fluorocarbon today. Actually more manageable than most fluorocarbons… but like most fluorocarbons – WAY STRETCHIER than Mono. I may go back to Trilene XT mono (Extremely Low stretch) or Yo-Zuri Hybrid co-polymer (also low stretch). I just wish they both had the sink rate of fluorocarbon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.